Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's time for alittle modding for my disco, you guys truely did it to me.
Now I want to do my Suspension and add a little lift maybe 2", any ideas what I should do? and how much?. I want to have the good stuff, something that I will really feel a smooth ride onroad and be able to really do some offroading.
and should I get bigger tires? and which ones? I want really good snow tires, winter is coming!. and anything else I should do let me know! my disco is really stock!.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
I guess it depends on what you intend to do with your rover, and how much money you intend to spend on it. If it were me and I had your D1, for starters I would cut my bumper down, get an RTE suspension 3" kit (springs, shocks, radius arms, everything you need.) a pair of front and rear tom woods driveshafts and then cut to fit 265/75-16 BFG M/T's. Then again, thats me.

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
cirus said:
something that I will really feel a smooth ride onroad and be able to really do some offroading.
I would do a lot of searching & reading on the forum. There will always be a trade-off between off-road & on-road performance. I would give an honest accessment of your % driving on- vs. off-road, as well as the type/difficulty of off-roading and get feedback based on that. From your post above, I'm inferring that good on-road handling is important. In that case I would probably suggest keeping the sway bars & going with some old faithful OME springs/shocks, which will give you approx. 2" of lift & one tire-size upgrade.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
agreed, if you arent planning on much off-roading but you want a good feel on the road and want you vehicle more trial capable, then probably the OME 2" lift with med stiff stuff will be fine.

Its very true what SCSL said about on road vs. off road preformance, as one gets better the other gets worse. I found though that my OME springs/shocks improved my ride, but then I got my big M/T's and they killed my acceleration and decreased my gas milage by 1/3!! 15.5mpg to 10.5mpg. So perhaps you will want to stick with stock size tires, anything else and you will have to trim also.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SCSL said:
I would do a lot of searching & reading on the forum. There will always be a trade-off between off-road & on-road performance. I would give an honest accessment of your % driving on- vs. off-road, as well as the type/difficulty of off-roading and get feedback based on that. From your post above, I'm inferring that good on-road handling is important. In that case I would probably suggest keeping the sway bars & going with some old faithful OME springs/shocks, which will give you approx. 2" of lift & one tire-size upgrade.
Your right! I will be doing alot more onroad than offroad just living here in NY.
So you would suggest OME springs/shocks and one tire size up.Do you think that should give me a real smooth ride and enuf ground clearance to do some trails?

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
cirus said:
Your right! I will be doing alot more onroad than offroad just living here in NY.
So you would suggest OME springs/shocks and one tire size up.Do you think that should give me a real smooth ride and enuf ground clearance to do some trails?

I think it would be the perfect combination for majority on-road with the occational light-med off-roading. "smooth ride" would depend on the stiffness of the shocks and springs. I chose very stiff shocks and springs because I dont want my rover to sag if it carries a heavy load on the roof, or a winch and HD bumper on the front. If you dont intend to get those things, then perhaps medium will be better, it will allow you to carry a medium load with little or no sagging and would be more comfortable on the road. On the other hand, with my stiff everything I think the ride is fine.

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
You'll be amazed at what your Disco can do in stock form, let alone with OME suspension & a slightly larger tire! :buttrock:

As for tires, I'm a huge BFG A/T fan. Just an all-around great tire for both on-road & off. There are probably better pure street tires but they look sad on a Disco with a lift. You can't go wrong with BFG A/Ts. They also perform very well on the trail & should have you covered for light off-roading. I've run these tires on the some of the toughest boulder trails in Colorado, thru 4' blizzards, across icy highways, and have no complaints.

Picture of bone-stock DI at Slaughterhouse Gultch lifting a tire on a mild cross-axle. Rolled right over it w/ CDL:

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
yes you could, it would be about $300 to install the suspension. but if you are handy with tools you can easily do it yourself or with a friend. I think the BFG AT is the best all terriain tire, you really cant go wrong as long as you have the ca$h. Though they are the best AT, they are one of the AT's that dont have a milage warrentee.

I did everything for the longest time on my toyo open countries, and they had a 60k mile warrentee, if they wore out before that, they toyo will give me new tires or keep giving me semi-used tires tilll I finish that 60k miles. They preformed well in mud, dirt, fair in sand, and great in snow and on ice (though keep in mind mine were cut siped), they were also much cheaper then the BFG AT's. I decided to go with the BFG MT's because they are one of the best MT's and no MT's have warrentees.

true, the open countries dont look as aggressive but if your doing more on-road driving like you mentioned, then perhaps you are better off with a tire that will be more economical for your uses.

Pics using the toyo open countries;

·
MG
771 Posts
Think about also upgrading your engine: alternator, ht leads, plugs, k&n filters (air and oil), electrical fans (instead of the viscous coupling monster you probably still have). For on-road performance, you'll see some immediate returns: more power / better mileage.

For off road, don't forget some good recovery points and some diff guards.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
me.guevara said:
Think about also upgrading your engine: alternator, ht leads, plugs, k&n filters (air and oil), electrical fans (instead of the viscous coupling monster you probably still have). For on-road performance, you'll see some immediate returns: more power / better mileage.

For off road, don't forget some good recovery points and some diff guards.

I just picked up some bosch platinum 4 plugs and ordered some bosch wires,
this weekend I'll pick up the K&N filters.electrical fans sounds like $.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
cirus said:
I just picked up some bosch platinum 4 plugs and ordered some bosch wires,
this weekend I'll pick up the K&N filters.electrical fans sounds like $.
ouch, I read a scary thread on the bosch platinum 4 plugs on discoweb. Tons of problems with them, most people opted to just replace thiers with the stock champion plugs. Go to discoweb.org and search for the thread
"My Bosch +4 Experience--Awful!!!"

Since you already bought them, unless you can return them I would put them in and see. Just know that if you are having any problems, its the plugs.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
cirus said:
O.K im pricing around the net for the OME suspension, how is the labor cost on that? and could a good local shop do it?
Just do it yourself!!!! It's easy total it will take maybe 2 hours!!! I have the OME 2" lift... Here is my cardomain site.... In most of the pics I still have street tires.. These rovers are very capable.... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/735661
I did my own, it was easy......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.