Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question I asked has a moral to it (I think). Not even 24 hours after bringing my RRC on campus and parking it in front of my dorm, did someone already tamper with it possibly trying to gain access into it.:shifty: Some jack ass stole a chrome exhaust tip off the tail pipe of my RRC. It was mounted on there when I got the thing, so I really didn't care. But this did tell me that someone wants to be a smart ass about it. There are other cars that this idiot could've picked off, like two dorms down, a BMW 5 series, a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Twin Turbo-ed. And of course the array of brand new Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks. :eek: Getting back on topic; I consider the stealing of my exhaust tip a tampering of my RRC, but not by much. Has anyone else experienced anything worse?:dunno:

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Not to my rover, but my 71 benz I had copenhagen spit on it often, cans put on my roof rack, misc. dricks and ice cream thrown at it and my hood ornament stolen..Oh yeah....all 4 tires slashed.....My mirrior broken and it's been key many times..That was at my old college....Everyone thought I was loaded because I had a benz...But my $500 car was a mercedes....The other people around me drove brand new pick-ups and SUV that were $20,000+ but I was the rich one....I am glad to be gone from that hell dole...... My benz has since recovered..but that crap pisses me off....When i switched cars and brought a 62 dodge nothing happened to it.....same with a 79 chevy malibu I use to have..Just the benz...

2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Goddamn! And i thought I was ripped! My mom got an 86 Mercedes 420 SEL 4 dr. with a 4.2L SOHC V8. She bought it for only $1000 from the same people I got my RRC. After what you just told me, I'd better look out! Ouch dude! Feel bad for ya. But at least you recovered

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Funrover said:
Not to my rover, but my 71 benz I had copenhagen spit on it often, cans put on my roof rack, misc. dricks and ice cream thrown at it and my hood ornament stolen..Oh yeah....all 4 tires slashed.....My mirrior broken and it's been key many times..That was at my old college....Everyone thought I was loaded because I had a benz...But my $500 car was a mercedes....The other people around me drove brand new pick-ups and SUV that were $20,000+ but I was the rich one....I am glad to be gone from that hell dole...... My benz has since recovered..but that crap pisses me off....When i switched cars and brought a 62 dodge nothing happened to it.....same with a 79 chevy malibu I use to have..Just the benz...
Should have bought solid road tires for it.....muahaha...try to slash them now! You could have installed non-DOT approved off-road windshield glass in all of the windows so someone with a baseball bat couldnt even smash it. Oh, and make yourself a new hood ornament out of 1/2" steel and weld it to the frame through the hood. Then you would be ready to come back.

· Support Our Troops
3,383 Posts
Lets see here some asshole ripped of 1 of my rear lamp guards while it was parked in my driveway. My dog must of chased them away because it looked like they went for the other one as well, but didnt have time to remove it.

Back in high school I had a Nissan Pulsar as a winter car and somebody broke the driverside window to get the radar detector out. It had to be somebody that knew me because it had very dark tint and the rador dector was not in plain sight. Funny thing was that It didnt even have a radio in it yet and my friends Mustang which had a great radio, radar dector, and his car phone in iit and in plain sight was parked next to me, but wasnt touched.

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
apbtpetey said:
Back in high school I had a Nissan Pulsar as a winter car and somebody broke the driverside window to get the radar detector out. It had to be somebody that knew me because it had very dark tint and the rador dector was not in plain sight. Funny thing was that It didnt even have a radio in it yet and my friends Mustang which had a great radio, radar dector, and his car phone in iit and in plain sight was parked next to me, but wasnt touched.
Sounds right. It was someone who took a good look inside the car.

I got limo tint windows on all the side windows and a big shunshade in the front and make sure I don't advertise and no one has tried yet.

Adam in NYC

· Registered
838 Posts
Went to college in Sand Diego CA and everybodies cars got broken onto. My buddies VW Golf got swiped 4 times.

I am a big fan of parking cars in garages but my Rover won't fit due to the rack. I keep nothing of value in it in my front yard and I have 2 very noisy german shepherds next door. I am in tune to their barks so if anyone is around I know about it. My dogs are too lazy to care. Two warning shots to the left temple like they do in Texas seems to keep no gooders away.

· MG
714 Posts
The last remaining LR insignia on the outside of my Disco is on the front grill - I imagine that it's still there because it's almost impossible to get out without damaging it.

I've purchased replacements for the 4 wheel caps and the rear door insignia, but I'm not sure I want to place them, yet.

At least here, the technical aspects of LR vehicles make them pretty difficult to fence in the black market, thus, so long as you keep valuable stuff out of sight and follow some basic urban safety guidelines (it helps that I grew up in Mexico City), nobody bothers you.

I also keep the Beast dirty and disheveled looking, just in case. The marque is so poorly recognised here, that all they see is a dirty 4x4 that doesn't have any useable parts...

2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jesus! I feel ashamed just mentioning that the only thing that happened to my RRC was an exhaust tip stolen off the tail pipe. Although I am drwing a lot of attention; cause everytime I drive off campus, which is usually between 5:30 and 6:00 PM, people taking a break at the diesel tech building across from my dorm stare at my Rover as I drive casually by. That's why I keep a good look out on my Rover. I wouldn't let anything happen to it.

· Registered
295 Posts
Funrover said:

It's the marque. You should see the looks that I get when I say I drive a Land Rover. Even after I tell them that it's 12 years old, and runs when it wants to, they still have this look of contempt.

Even with my friends and aquaintances, my ol' Disco will draw more looks and praises than my buddy's brand new Tacoma.

Thankfully nothing has happened *knock on wood*, but I do worry that someone will break in someday. You think someone would be tempted with that much glass on the Disco.

· Forward!
2,319 Posts
The center caps on the wheels on my wifes D2 have been stolen.....twice, sitting in the parking lot of our apartment! Just leaving them off until we move into our house. It sucks too because there are things sitting here on our computer room floor that need to be installed on her truck. But I won't do it until we move for fear of drawing attention to the new parts on her truck, then having some jackass steal them!

· Registered
92 Posts
it's insane that people steal so much stuff and want to vandalize your property. I can't wait till my wife and I are in our house around May. We had both of our windows broken out in front of our house last Spring, though I was driving my Hyundai then and my wife her Camry. Now we are driving a Rover and a BMW, people in the neighborhood always give me strange looks. All I want to say is that I am sorry I have better taste in cars then they do and that I actually decided to do something with my life. Knock on wood the Land Rover is my only car that has never been broken into, but then again, I have only had her for 33 days. LoL :cool:

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
DiscoTex said:
It's the marque.
I hate that fact......I line certian cars, even though they are noe exspensive a lot of people think they are....Wish I caould do more to stop these jerks

2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I get the feeling of moving away from the apartment style dorms I live in, to a house with a garage. There is a lot of real estate around Lima, OH. I might just go and look around and finally get employed somewhere to keep on rent. All this back-breaking to protect my Rover. Jeez!

· Registered
7 Posts
i live in Liverpool people say its bad for car theft but it depends what area you live in. i live in an ok area ther has been a few cars stolen (like an audi tt) but i there are 5 crs on my driveway along with a bid dog so no one comes near. unfortunately land rover are becoming a prime target because all of the wings bolt on, they cn be easily dismantled an put back together, ive seen the police emptying a full garage of land rover parts engines etc all stolen. right now the most common thing is the discovery td5 new headlights ive heard of someone getting ther lights robbed 3 times. :eek:

· Registered
261 Posts
My sister's explorer has had the FM antenna bent to the point where it had to come off, bricks thrown through two driver's windows, and both mirrors ripped off. People that know nothing about cars shouldn't be allowed to touch them. You can get a Porsche for like 10k if it's the right model and far enough gone. The marque may influence the potential value of a car, but it has very little to do with the car's actual value.

· These pretzels are making me thirsty
317 Posts
DiscoTex said:
It's the marque. You should see the looks that I get when I say I drive a Land Rover. Even after I tell them that it's 12 years old, and runs when it wants to, they still have this look of contempt.

Even with my friends and aquaintances, my ol' Disco will draw more looks and praises than my buddy's brand new Tacoma.

Thankfully nothing has happened *knock on wood*, but I do worry that someone will break in someday. You think someone would be tempted with that much glass on the Disco.

I noticed the same thing. When I first bought my Disco, I got that same look of contempt. People at work asked what kind of car I bought, when I said I got a 98 Land Rover, one person actaully said, "so you think your loaded now, huh?" I was like, no, you don't understand, it's 7 years old, I didn't even pay that much for it.

Anyway, only had a center cap taken so far. 'Course I probably just jinx'd myself.

· Registered
295 Posts
Private Iron said:
People at work asked what kind of car I bought, when I said I got a 98 Land Rover, one person actaully said, "so you think your loaded now, huh?" I was like, no, you don't understand, it's 7 years old, I didn't even pay that much for it.
:lol: Yeah, even when I tell the average person that you can find them for as little as 2k, they still look at me like I'm a douchebag. OH! And then to top it off, they correct me: "No, no, you're driving a RANGE Rover" Me: Go lube your knuckles and fist yourself. :moon:

I don't get it, unless someone screwed your dog or something, why mess with another man's vehicle?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.