Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· wjsj69
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had a "Rover Tap" (2000 D2 4.0) and overreacted, thinking it was a loose liner, only to find a rocker arm had snapped on the valve side (see pic).

Has anyone come across this before? The push rod did not bend, the valve looks fine and the rocker moves freely on the shaft. I'm going to do a compression test, and make sure the valve isn't bent.

108,000 miles. Heads are newish; approx. 15-25K miles. I just did the top end; HG's, valve stem seals, timing chain, water pump, gaskets, etc. Drove fine for several hundred miles.

Is this just an old part failure, or should I look for something else?

Attachments

· wjsj69
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: Noticed that the valve spring wasn't centered in its pocket which caused spring-bind, breaking the rocker. I can't believe I didn't notice this when I assembled the head!:confused ..just glad I figured it out and didn't have to remove the head again! :banana: I hope this lesson I learned helps to keep it from happening to someone else!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.