Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Drives like an old man
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got this crazy, probably stupid, idea to buy a cheap thermostat, cut it open and gut it, and replace the junk inside with a real, temperature-operated thermostat. Once reassembled, it would look completely stock and wouldn't require any other cutting or replacing of hoses. Has this been done? Think it's even worth trying?

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
I am pretty sure the "junk inside" is pretty much a normal conventional "temperature operated thermostat . What other type is there?
The main difference is the flow and additional hose running in bypass.
Also I can't imagine cutting the housing open , piecing it back together being anywhere close to reliable.
I would think doing the inline modification would be the most reliable and likely the cheapest way to go

·
Drives like an old man
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's my understanding (it's been said many times on this forum) that the thermostat is pressure-operated, not temperature. Freakin' BMW. Never liked their cars. Anyway, I think it would be quite easy to make this mod and install a hi-flow thermostat in place of whatever piece of crap Motorad put in there. I think I have a spare, so maybe this weekend I'll give it a try. If this works, it'll be lots cheaper and easier than the inline mod. A simple medium-temp adhesive will hold things together.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
The thermostat has two parts within, the temperature operated valve and a pressure sensitive one for bypass... see attachment then maybe you'll reconsider your plan

btw it's Rover not BMW

Attachments

·
Drives like an old man
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's BMW. They designed the POS cooling system. I don't need my car to warm up quickly. I need it to cool down quickly. So, really, I need a high-flow thermostat that is actually wide open at 180, not just beginning to open at 180. I'm pretty sure the thermostat is the source of the problem; this will either confirm or reject that theory.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Have you not seen any of the threads pertaining to the inline thermostat modification? If you want lower, consistent coolant temperature do a search on it. Your idea isn't going to work. You want this:

It's BMW. They designed the POS cooling system. I don't need my car to warm up quickly. I need it to cool down quickly. So, really, I need a high-flow thermostat that is actually wide open at 180, not just beginning to open at 180. I'm pretty sure the thermostat is the source of the problem; this will either confirm or reject that theory.

Attachments

·
Drives like an old man
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay. Everyone says it's a dumb idea or won't work, so I'll take your word for it. I still think it'd work but I can't get my temps over 107 no matter what I do, so I guess I won't bother. Unless I get to a point where I literally have nothing to do, I'll just let it go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.