Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Forward!
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ares said:
I just moved to Mayfield, KY. About 3hr from Louisville. Trying to find some offroading spots nearby, but having any luck. Know of any?

Welcome to the forum! :drink1:

Land Between the Lakes has got some OHV areas, but I have never been there. You might be able to check with the park to get more info. What's in Mayfield, never been there or to that area of the state yet.

· Registered
157 Posts
Badger1 said:
Welcome to the forum! :drink1:

Land Between the Lakes has got some OHV areas, but I have never been there. You might be able to check with the park to get more info. What's in Mayfield, never been there or to that area of the state yet.
Thanks! Nice forum here. Seems to lack the smart asses of the other forums. hopefully that will last.

Nothing here that I know of. LBL is about 30 min away and I was thinking of riding up there tomorrow and checking it out. Maybe we can get a group together in the next month or so and hit the trails. I would even be willing to make the 7 hour trek to Red River Gorge if you guys still plan on going. I need to get out and break something. :buttrock:

· Forward!
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
7 hours!!! :eek: I thought the 2 and a half for me was bad! What type of rig are you driving/mods? My wife and I were thinking about going back to RRG/Natural Bridge sometime in later Nov. and/or early Dec. we'll let you know. I went last Dec., and it snowed all day what a blast! If you find out anything about some offroading in LBL let me know, if it was decent I would be willing to cruise down there and check that out. That would kill two birds with one stone anyway as I have wanted to see the area.

· Registered
157 Posts
Badger1 said:
7 hours!!! :eek: I thought the 2 and a half for me was bad! What type of rig are you driving/mods? My wife and I were thinking about going back to RRG/Natural Bridge sometime in later Nov. and/or early Dec. we'll let you know. I went last Dec., and it snowed all day what a blast! If you find out anything about some offroading in LBL let me know, if it was decent I would be willing to cruise down there and check that out. That would kill two birds with one stone anyway as I have wanted to see the area.
Yeah, keep me updated on Nov, I may can make it. I'll go check out LBL and see if they still allow vehicles. I think I heard somewhere that they only allow ATVs. :mad:

My wife and 2 rugrats mad the haul to MAR this year and I wasnt a happy camper after driving 12 hours to see it rain nonstop. We left Sat. So, Im ready to actually do some wheelin. :drive:

Im driving a 98 D1, OME lift, MTRs, sliders, RTE bumper, winch, etc.

How bout you? Looks like a RRC in your avatar

· Forward!
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The RRC is my old truck I picked up a 97SD D1 back in June and it's been great(knock on wood), as I had a TON of issues with the Range. The only things I have done to it are skids on the diffs RN on the front, Southdown on the rear , steering skid, and extended breathers. Everything taken off my RR and I wish I could have/should have taken more before I got rid of it. Anyway the lift will be ordered this week from RTE, and some new 235/85 MT's from Fleet Farm back in Wisconsin mid Nov.! After that I just want to take care of some annoying issues(manifold gasket leaks, belt or bearing making noise/ tach not working when cold ie. alternator or belt tensioner), but that will hopefully wait until tax return time.

Let me know about LBL!

· Registered
157 Posts
Went to Turkey Bay. Its up and running and the rumor about not allowing trucks is false. I took the wife and girls (7 and 9) and spent about 4 hours. Had a good time. I managed to scare the **** outa everyone including myself on a couple of trails. Some impressive hill climbs and descents, a mud hole or two. There was a nice trail that went along the river/lake that went along to a huge hill climb. It was real dusty and you had to keep your eye out for ATVs. The place seems to be more for ATVs, but there were plenty of trails for trucks... a bit narrow at times. It was $15 for the day, however, I plan on purchasing the $60 year pass. There were also plenty of places to camp and the charge for campsites was $9, I think. Cant wait to get back without the timid family and another vehicle... always more fun with more than one truck.

· Forward!
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ares said:
Went to Turkey Bay. Its up and running and the rumor about not allowing trucks is false. I took the wife and girls (7 and 9) and spent about 4 hours. Had a good time. I managed to scare the **** outa everyone including myself on a couple of trails. Some impressive hill climbs and descents, a mud hole or two. There was a nice trail that went along the river/lake that went along to a huge hill climb. It was real dusty and you had to keep your eye out for ATVs. The place seems to be more for ATVs, but there were plenty of trails for trucks... a bit narrow at times. It was $15 for the day, however, I plan on purchasing the $60 year pass. There were also plenty of places to camp and the charge for campsites was $9, I think. Cant wait to get back without the timid family and another vehicle... always more fun with more than one truck.
Sounds like you had a good time! It's gotta be nice to be able to get out with the family and do things like that. I am looking forward to checking that place out. I was looking at my DeLorme map of LBL and just north of that OHV area, there are a few roads called truck trails... might be something to look into! Oh yeah what size tires are on your truck? Have you experianced any significant loss of power?

· Registered
157 Posts
Badger1 said:
Sounds like you had a good time! It's gotta be nice to be able to get out with the family and do things like that. I am looking forward to checking that place out. I was looking at my DeLorme map of LBL and just north of that OHV area, there are a few roads called truck trails... might be something to look into! Oh yeah what size tires are on your truck? Have you experianced any significant loss of power?
Yeah, it was a fun trip. Like I said, I will probably buy a year pass next time I go (probably Sat after next). There are tons of "truck" trails and we tried a couple near the OHV area. They were pretty weak, albeit interesting, several of them lead to old cemetaries :eek:

Im currently running 245/75 and there is some power loss, but Ive adjusted to it. It seems to be more noticeable when packing a decent load and ascending a hill on the highway. But, hey, Im not out here to when any races. The MTRs have been fantastic, but I have had some tie rods ends go bad and I think its caused some allignment issues not to mention eat the outside of the tires up. So, Im looking at going to either 235/85s (too wide) or 265/75s (too wide) in the BFG MT variety. This will cause even more power loss, but Im looking at adding lockers and gears early next spring. It shouldnt be too bad as it is relatively flat here compared to Eastern KY where we used to live.

How about your truck? What are you running?

If anyone wants to tag along to Turkey Bay that weekend of the 29th let me know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.