Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I’m thinking of buying another Disco (yea, the Rover bug has bit...) and don’t really have a way to get it home without towing it. I was thinking of renting a Uhaul car trailer and pulling the whole shebang back home with my 03 D2. This is close to the factory towing capacity on these things - the uhaul trailer is around 2,100 lbs according to their website, and the 96 D1 I’m looking at is around 4,400 if Google is to be believed. That puts the total around 6,500, close to the factory 7,700 lb capacity. So, has anyone towed a load of this weight with their D2, and if so, what was your experience like? Thanks!

·
very disco
2,456 Posts
However you do it, do it! I’ve never yanked that much with any of my rovers but I would try it.

im sure that the ratings are lawyerized

Reactions: V50_M66

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed, the question is how much everything is lawyerized. One of my buddies races old 911s and tows a 2 car enclosed trailer with his 06 Cayenne S. They are rated at 7,716 lbs, and he conservatively guesses that his fully loaded trailer weighs around 12,000. He says it pulls it like a dream, and he’s never had any problems with that setup. I think I’ll just go for it. It’s about 150 miles I’ll be towing for, with some decent sized hills in there, but I’ll just be cautious about it and take it slow. My truck is in pretty decent mechanical shape, especially engine and suspension wise, so I’m not too worried about it overheating or anything. I’ve had plenty of experience towing over the weight limit with my 05 XC90, but I don’t want to tow that much over what it’s rated for (it’s rated for 5,000, so I’m not sure 6,500 with that thing with no separate factory trans cooler is a great idea), so hence the question about towing with my Disco. I’ll just tell Uhaul I’m trailering a Miata or something so they’ll let me rent one ;)

·
very disco
2,456 Posts
I would imagine tow-ratings are reduced by at least 30% and you’re still under the max.

when I used to drive a DOT regulated truck, all equipment had to be rated 1.5 x the actual load

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm sure everything is dialed way back. I'll probably have to measure 0-60 with a calendar and it'll probably stop with the urgency of a loaded freight train, but I bet it will pull it just fine. There isn't exactly a surplus of power (or braking performance, for that matter) in these trucks. I just had a look at the manual and it says that it's rated for 7,700 in low range, and 5,500 in high range. It's probably still fine. I came across someone on the forums that pulled a 7,000 lb trailer with a mostly stock RRC with the 3.9 V8 and 33" tires. Other than the fact that "acceleration was measured with a sun dial", he said it did alright.

·
very disco
2,456 Posts
Haha. My classic is probably the one rover I wouldn’t want to tow with, but perhaps that’s because I haven’t tested its mettle yet. You get yourself a braked trailer and drive safe

·
Drives like an old man
437 Posts
Just make damn sure your brakes are in tip-top shape!

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agreed - braked trailer for sure. Braking was my only real concern, and most of the reason for my post. I expect that it’ll be comically slow, but I wasn’t positive about how well it will brake. My brakes are in pretty good shape, and it stops quite well - I just have to give it a good amount of pressure to stop with urgency. I’m sure it will be fine with a braked trailer and being slow and cautious.

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
I once towed a 1976 Cadillac sedan deville about 100 miles with my 1999 D2 on a uhaul trailer (had to say it was a cimmaron). it towed very well - cadilac was 6400lbs and the uhaul trailer around 2000. Definitely needed the uhaul braking system and even on the freeway I stuck to the 55mph max limit. Plenty of power to go faster but I was more concerned about stopping all of the weight even with the trailer brakes. Just take it slowly and the disco will cope just fine.

·
Super Moderator
2,315 Posts
Agree
We move vehicles around a fair amount at work. I have towed discos, Series trucks and even a Defender 110 Diesel with my D2 or my employers 99 Range Rover.
Double axle barge of a trailer with electric brakes. Definitely more weight than a UHaul car hauler

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, I’m thinking of buying another Disco (yea, the Rover bug has bit...) and don’t really have a way to get it home without towing it. I was thinking of renting a Uhaul car trailer and pulling the whole shebang back home with my 03 D2. This is close to the factory towing capacity on these things - the uhaul trailer is around 2,100 lbs according to their website, and the 96 D1 I’m looking at is around 4,400 if Google is to be believed. That puts the total around 6,500, close to the factory 7,700 lb capacity. So, has anyone towed a load of this weight with their D2, and if so, what was your experience like? Thanks!
Yes thats fine if you use a twin axle trailer just get the balance right when you load the D1 on the trailer. I tow a Defender often on my twin axle trailer.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I just installed the Atlantic British trailer wiring kit today - super nice kit btw - it’s expensive, but works really well and looks and installs like a factory or even better part. The truck I was looking at sold before I could get to it, but I’m on the lookout for another LR project, and will be sure to tow it back with my Disco and update with how it does.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts