Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Just hope you have standard diameter tyres on. Bigger tyres and towing do not go together. If you have a modern vehicle trailer, you should not have any worry with trailer sway, your problem will be too much weight on the tow ball.
It’s on 32s with a 2” lift. I’ve towed with a lifted Tacoma before, and it was fine. That wasn’t a massive amount of weight - right below capacity. Interesting that you bring up tongue weight - the max trailer weight is 7700, but max tongue weight is only 550 - not within the 10-12% that is generally recommended. What gives?

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I can tell you that going from the standard 29 inch tyres to 32 inch tyres makes a hell of the difference with heavy towing in a Disco. I cannot comment on a Tacoma, only a Disco. The 10% tongue weight only really applies to smaller trailers. I generally look for around 100Kg to 120Kg for larger trailers. That is, get a reasonably solid person to stand on your tower and that is about how far it should drop with the trailer. I often have to reverse the vehicle onto the trailer to get the weight distribution right.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts