Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found the reason for my engine code. There is a small leak from what looks to be a freeze plug just under the driver's side exhaust manifold dripping onto the plug for the crank angle sensor. Anyone know what size it is?

·
Expert Crate Digger
226 Posts
Got a caliper micrometer?

·
Registered
2 Posts
You will need an Allen wrench socket for this, not just the usual L-shaped Allen key. It's metric...measure the width of one flat of the recess (a tape will do) and buy a socket to match. This is Not the size of the threaded part i.e. if it measures 10mm , dont ask for a '10mm Allen socket'...measure the flat on the tool, to match. Tighten it a fraction first, to crack any corrosion on the thread and allow some WD40 to seep in. If it is tight, back in and back out gradually...you don't want to tear this alloy thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will need an Allen wrench socket for this, not just the usual L-shaped Allen key. It's metric...measure the width of one flat of the recess (a tape will do) and buy a socket to match. This is Not the size of the threaded part i.e. if it measures 10mm , dont ask for a '10mm Allen socket'...measure the flat on the tool, to match. Tighten it a fraction first, to crack any corrosion on the thread and allow some WD40 to seep in. If it is tight, back in and back out gradually...you don't want to tear this alloy thread.
I measured it but it was difficult to tell if it was 17 or 19mm with how in there it is.

We don't have any stores that sell that big of an Allen socket around here so I was hoping somebody here knew before I starting ordering $20 sockets.

I went ahead and ordered a 19, but it was too big. Ordered the 17mm and it fit perfect.

So if anyone needs to know, it's a 17mm hex bit socket.

Also, Thank you for the tip on tightening it a bit first. That is gold. It's been soaking in liquid wrench, but I'm deffinately a little paranoid about stripping it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts