Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone try these on a classic? the old man emu's are recommended used only w/ their springs, plus those and the billsteins are about $300 for a set. I can get the monroes for $100 bucks for all 4. Are the billsteins worth $200 bucks extra? - all on road driving...

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
got this from http://www.4x4wire.com/mitsubishi/reviews/ome/

"For example, the shocks - which are produced by Monroe Australia to OME's specifications - feature a massive 18mm rod, and the wall thickness of the gas shocks is at least 1mm thicker than their competitors. "

So I guess the Monroe shocks aren't that bad. I've had the Bilstein shocks on my 88 RR and they were great, a bit stiff but perfect for on-road cornering. I would not recommend the Rancho 5000s (had them on my CJ7 and they were too hard and broke). I would go with the Bilsteins. I purchased mine from Bill @ Great Basin Rovers (great guy).

Hope this helps.

John

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have 4 Bilsteins on my Classic and 4 more on my 4.0SE. Great shock absorber.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't waste your time and money - they are just crap. I don't think they are the same as the ones manufactured by Monroe Australia.

I bought them for $15 each and put them on my mildly lifted '95 LWB (with heavy duty LR springs and 1 inch blocks). They started to leak badly after only about a month of city driving. I now have genuine LR shocks on the truck (purchased from RoverConnection for around $200) and am very happy with them.

I also have genuine LR shocks (lowered with home-made mounts) on my lifted '89 RRC with OMEs + 1 inch blocks and like them on this truck, too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wanted rear air monroe shocks because I frequently pull a 2,000-pound utility trailer and hooking it up always caused the back of my big Merc to go for the limbo-dancing gold. Monroe claimed its Max-Air product was just the trick, with ride height-fixing pressure being easily adjustable from a stock-looking (and feeling) 20 PSI all the way up to a coil spring-bustin’, hip-hop-video-starring 140 PSI.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
gr3gjones, what is wrong with the boge unit? That is its function exactly.

OP, I broke one of my rear Blingsteins last year off roading and while they were quite old I was surprised that they broke off right at the eye. I replaced with Monroe's in the rear because I was in a hurry and the price was right thinking that if I did not like them I would replace them with something else and keep these as trail spares.

But to be totally honest I really can't tell the difference between these and the bilsteins. So they have been on the Rangie for about a year now and have performed just as well off road as the more expensive shock.

I don't have heavy duty springs or a tall lift. I am currently running 265/75R16 BFG MT but that changes to 33"s now and then and I even ran a set of 35"s for a while and the shocks held up just as well.

There is my 2c.

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
I wanted rear air monroe shocks because I frequently pull a 2,000-pound utility trailer and hooking it up always caused the back of my big Merc to go for the limbo-dancing gold. Monroe claimed its Max-Air product was just the trick, with ride height-fixing pressure being easily adjustable from a stock-looking (and feeling) 20 PSI all the way up to a coil spring-bustin’, hip-hop-video-starring 140 PSI.
If I recall correctly a big Merc doesn't have a boge unit brother:D

By now most boge units on a RRC are dead anyways....

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
:lol:
If I recall correctly a big Merc doesn't have a boge unit brother:D

By now most boge units on a RRC are dead anyways....
:lol: yeah I see that now :eek:. I obviously missed the big Merc bit, I assumed that he had a RRC and was pulling a big Merc......my bad. I also missed it was a zombie thread :eek:.

You can actually fix the boge airbag, they sell new units. I think they are great when they work because then you have to have HD springs in the rear if you only carry serious weight occasionally. Mine had EAS so boge, Air springs are long gone but I wish I had a boge. Perhaps I will retrofit one?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts