Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, im pretty much looking for a 100 post fight to the death thread here...but I guess I'll take what I can get.

I used to be in love with the Hella 4k's, untill recently. Im not sure what happened but after seeing pics of them filled with water (fish bowls) and people complaining about thier lens quality and the way they throw light, etc. etc. I am now disinterested in Hella 4k's.

There has been talk of Super Oscars....well.....the lights themselfs look like sh!t IMO.....they throw great light for the price....but they look worse then my $9.49 lights from Northern Tool (which actualy look much better after some cutting and rustolium....look like they have a metal body now :D ) anyhow....I am looking at the Lightforce 240 Blitz. They are (best price ive found) $325 for a full kit......I will also spend an extra $44 on wide filters. So about $400 with everything plus tax. This is very pricy, yes....but I want the best, and it was just my B-day so im going to splurge. With the stock longlife bulbs they put out 730,000 candle power....with regular 100watt bulbs, they put out 1,000,000 candle power....with the filters and the ability to focus the beam I can throw that light over a mile in front, or turn it into a cornering beam.

I have yet to hear about someone that went from Lightforce to something else.....only the other way around.

PLEASE...ENLIGHTEN ME!

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
If I had the deep pockets and did not live in the city....

I would try them out.

But my "urban motorist" Rover is one of a half-dozen Solihull product here on my block in New York City. I don't need Rover envy and then some knucklehead decides to swipe my 'Lightforce' lights. I would rather get (or make) a Saudi grill with the interior mounting brackets and then they would have to really work at getting at those lights.

Just had a knucklehead decide to stick a safety pin thru my rear sidewall because I got a parking spot after waiting one hour and one half(it did not matter that I just did a 16 hour workday prior). He or she thought my wagon would be fixed. Stopped me for about 1/2 hour with a decent patch.

If you want the trophys, scratch that itch. Just remember that wanting it and then having it isn't quite the same.

As a side thought, ever thought of making a set of lights that would give all these guys a run for their money and look good on a Jeep, LR or Hummer?

I would take the best ideas and first make them jet black to boot. I also would add the wide/narrow lensing inside as well, like a mag-lite.

Adam in NYC

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
the comments on the dark spots in the beams concerns me more than just a little. I'd like to see how the filters work first hand before dropping that much money on plastic lamps. The super oscars are old and funky looking, but they have 20+ years of being the top lamp in the rallye world. Function over form in their case. Lightforce are super blingy, just haven't (to me) proven themselves worthy of their price. Maybe get some HID offroad lamps used off ebay or somethin...

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Muddy Oval said:
the comments on the dark spots in the beams concerns me more than just a little. I'd like to see how the filters work first hand before dropping that much money on plastic lamps. The super oscars are old and funky looking, but they have 20+ years of being the top lamp in the rallye world. Function over form in their case. Lightforce are super blingy, just haven't (to me) proven themselves worthy of their price. Maybe get some HID offroad lamps used off ebay or somethin...
Well....we know they are kick ass spot beams....if I bought them now and they didnt work out, then I could always move them to the top center right?

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
The Lightforces are awsome..I know guys who use the heck out of them...that is what I will buy when I can!

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am thinking about going "all out" and buying the 240 blitz's plus the filters in a day or two.

Will use a 3-switch thing, where:
position 1= OFF
position 2= ON
position 3= ON with high-beams

..real excited. Im going to keep them on a driving-beam pattern untill I hit the trails.

btw...aaron, did you notice that we are neck and neck post wise....'cept for that 1k lead you have on me.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
We are neck to neck man....LOL..... I am going to get some of those also..front and rear...I hate backing up at night when wheeling...pain in the arse to see..... Anything to help night wheeling I am in for...but it will have to wait to summer at the soonest..

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking of getting it so there would be three in front (on an RTE bumper) but I think Dweb is right...that it would block too much air from getting into the radiator. Instead what I will do is have the lightforce on the side mounds and then two hella 500's with die electric grease in the back or something (to make them waterproof) to the outside of the lightforce lights. So then I will get a bit more then having one in the center worth of light, and I will be able to use the Hella 500's on the road.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Keep in mind that the vast majority of cooling at highway speed comes through the lower part of the radiator. Even a row of big lamps won't affect it. At trail speeds, air has no problem finding its way around lamps etc.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats good to know....another reason though that I would only do two 240 blitz's on the front of the RTE bar is because I dont think three would fit. They are 9.5" in dia. ...thats huge! ...plus it might look pretty funny...would enjoy having two sets to choose from also.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well ive decided to put off the lightforce lamps for a bit. Perhaps I will get that decal instead. Anyhow to hold me over I have cut the grills off my present cheapo off-road lamps (100watts), and painted them with satin rustolium to make them look metal. It actually works! I will spend $25 getting some 130watt bulbs for them and making a relay setup like I described. I bought my cheapo lights for $9/lamp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.