Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went on a weekend camping trip with some club buddies to Anza Borrego. We had to go up at least a 45 degree three level rock garden. No worries right? Sure but not until the trinity lights come on. The dreaded TC/ABS/HDC decides to make their presence known. You may seem fine on the highway and the ABS appears to be working but offroad only the wheel that loses traction keeps spinning while the other three don't even spin at all. I had to be winched the rest of the way up until we got on the flat part of the trail. Anyhow, I'm really looking into installing a shifter with CDL and perhaps some lockers. There's nothing more frustrating than climbing up inclines with only one wheel pulling you. Other than that, the trip was wonderful. :clap:

Coincidentally, we ran into Bill Burke and his class by the wash near the base of the rock garden. His expertise could've have been useful. But I have to hand it to my camping buddies, they really know their winching techniques. At one point we switched from winching two strapping to rigs to pull me up. :drink1:

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Sweet pictures...... I wish I was there!!!!!!!! Keep up the great work......Keep showing pics like that I might go to cali and wheel...

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are some pictures courtesy of SCLR's previous trip to Anza Borrego in 2003 taken at a different part of the park. I believe this area is called the Squeeze and Heart Attack Hill. I was told it took an average of 15 minutes per vehicle to get through the narrow passage. The last pic is of the typical campsite found everywhere throughout the park. :drink1:

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
WOW!!!!! That looks awsome........I want to go there!!!

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Do you have to try and drive back up that hill?

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fortunately no since there are other trails that lead to the main road. But I'm almost certain you can if you want or need to. IMHO it's not as hard as Lion's Back in Moab but challenging nonetheless. But for the campsite in my first set of pics, you have to climb this three stage rock garden at almost 45 deg incline to get to it, then back down the same way to get to the main road. Oh and there were brief narrow water crossings with lush vegetation on both sides that gave me quite a bit of unwanted pin stripping. ;)

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
bruinlad said:
Fortunately no since there are other trails that lead to the main road. But I'm almost certain you can if you want or need to. IMHO it's not as hard as Lion's Back in Moab but challenging nonetheless. But for the campsite in my first set of pics, you have to climb this three stage rock garden at almost 45 deg incline to get to it, then back down the same way to get to the main road. Oh and there were brief narrow water crossings with lush vegetation on both sides that gave me quite a bit of unwanted pin stripping. ;)

The stripping adds character......also it lets other know your has been used so it can climb the curb at the mall if you have too.... :D

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good point! LR enthusiasts in particular always say that to me. Not that there's anything wrong about it. Like my beat up military surplus Panasonic Toughbook, it's go so many scratches on it but the thing just somehow keeps going. Everyone that's seen it likes it coz they say...it has character. and better yet, how about your old pair of jeans. I think I'll leave some pinstripping on just to remind me where I've been and what others may never even think of going. :clap: :drink1:

· Registered
44 Posts
I've been in the SCLR group since 1998. The Hill is not as steep as Bruinlad's photos show. Who ever took the shots tilted the camera to exagerate the incline. Just look at the people and the trees. I've been through there, and it is hairy!

You can see a lot of SCLR trips on my rover site.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree with Jeffrey insofar as the incline of the hill is concerned based on the people standing on top or walking on the side of the hill. Though I haven't seen it for myself I. Unfortunately, I cannot speak for whoever took them as those photos were from another member who posted them in the calendar of past trips, but still think they are great shots that I thought were worth sharing. :)

Thanks for sharing your site. Those are very nice photos!

BTW, when was the last time you went on a trip with the club? Looks like you guys had a lot of fun trips back then. Sure wish we had someone on more recent trips who can capture the moments better than we do (or try to at least). Speaking for myself of course.

· Registered
34 Posts
Bruinlad, I'm a member of SCLR and that was one of the complaints of many is that there were not enough trips. From what I have heard (I couldn't attend the last meeting) was that many trips were suggested for next year and many have stepped up to lead the trips. I sounds as though 2006 should have a full calender.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Jeffrey said:
I've been in the SCLR group since 1998. The Hill is not as steep as Bruinlad's photos show. Who ever took the shots tilted the camera to exagerate the incline. Just look at the people and the trees. I've been through there, and it is hairy!

You can see a lot of SCLR trips on my rover site.
Jeffery,
Saw your post. I also live in Santa Barbara and am a SCLR member, lets connect sometime.
Mike J.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn't make it to the meeting myself but you can find out some of the results on the club's board. Some of the things I wanted to suggest were offroad driving class/trips for novices. Just so new and potential members will be more comfortable armed with some driving skills. Plus they'll have an idea of what to expect on the trails and will be able to react accordingly, in theory anyway. Other ideas include bringing back the rover run for the ladies, so they just don't sit through the trip and ride shotgun. I usually go with the wife and the last time out in Anza when we got stuck, she did the driving and I did the spotting and hooking up the strap and winch cable, etc. So I'm almost certain a lot the ladies don't want to be mere spectator/passengers they actually want to take over the controls at some point. Anyhow, I look forward to the events this coming year and hopefully get to meet other senior members.

· Registered
55 Posts
I have been looking at pics of that area for a while now (mostly JSQ's on EE), and it looks awesome. Absolutely gorgeous. I have never wheeled in the desert or out west at all....would love to go there....! :)

· Registered
908 Posts
are the trails harder than Ocotillo Wells?I did Ocotillo with stock Disco and I assume some part (not The Squeeze and Heart Attack Hill) of the park are for scenic touring thus makes it easy trail...

I thought about go to Moab before Christmas but I guess Anza Borrego seems a lil bit more make sense for this month

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.