Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the differentials on a Disco II open diffs? My 96' had open diffs as I found out the hard way one day in the snow, burried to the frame and only two tires would spin. If you were to install a locker, will the traction control still work when the diff is locked? Finally do you even need a locker because Disco II's have traction control?
Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Disco II Diffs & Traction Control

Hi Roverash,

Disco II Diffs are similar to earlier Disco Diffs in the way they operate. In the Disco II with traction control Land Rover did away with the Diff lock position on the Low - High transfer gear lever. The idea being that the traction control would do the job without the driver having to touch anything.

To understad how it works you need to understand the Land Rover 4 wheel drive system. Basically with an earlier Disco if centre diff lock was not engaged you only needed one of the four wheels to lose traction to be stuck in the mud.

Engaging the centre diff lock would block the front propeller with the rear propeller shaft. In this position the vehicle would move forward or backward if the left and right hand wheels on the front or rear axles had traction. However if you lost traction on one front wheel and one rear wheel you would be again stuck in the mud.

Disci II did away with the centre diff lock lever position. Using the ABS system to compare the speed of rotation of the four wheels. When the electronic system picked up a difference in wheel speed, (a wheel loosing traction will turn faster) When this condition happens, the ABS system will apply the brakes to that spinning wheel and only to the spining wheel or wheels. In doing this it allows more torque to the wheel or wheels with traction and therefore allows the vehicle to continue moving. In this way it is an improvement over the old system.

The ABS system with traction control and hill decent control are very usefull in offroad and poor road conditions. However we do have some owners here that use their Disco II in extream conditions. For these people we have modified their vehicles so the centre diff can be locked because they would experence brake fade with the extra heat generated when the traction control was in constant use.

I hope this answeres your question.

Cheers,

Graeme.

·
Registered
34 Posts
DIFFicult

HI to all D2 Owners,

I mean't to post this earlier but you know how it can be. As most D2 owners may know the Hill-Decent/Traction-control/Abs is all linked and the brakes do most of the work. On the series I discovery the centre DIFF lock could be engaged when the going got tough, which linked the front and rear diff's together. Well, with the D2 the engineers thought 'We don't need the Centre diff any more so we'll just re-move the linkage and just let the Traction Control the Shi%$# work.'

As a result anyone who takes a peek at there D2 will realise that the linkage for the Centre Diff lock is still there but not connected to the cabin.

It wouldn't take a degree in rocket science to realise that the linkage could be made to work the lever in the cabin and then D2 owners could then have a Centre Diff lock and traction control.

How good is that, Answers on a post card plz.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
So what year is your D2?
Depending on how hard you want to play you v=can in some instances add the CDL on 99, 00 and some 01's.
If you still want more traction as I did you can add lockers ARB's, Detroits or True Trac's. I went for the Detroit in the rear and a T.T in the front and I now drive a half-track.
It is all up to you and what you want.
By the way, lockers work well with ETC and the ETC can be turned off by you if you want even more control.
Mike J.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Series I

I've got a Series I '97 model year Discovery, Centre Diff Only and its not been modified in anyway. When I do get to take it Off-Road, I'll be going with a couple of mates coz I will get stuck and they all have winches

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Wes,
I don't understand why you are getting stuck all the time, even with open difs D1's do pretty well off the road. Sounds like you need to do at least a rear locker so you aren't getting stuck all the time.
Mike J.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wes DownUnder said:
HI to all D2 Owners,

I mean't to post this earlier but you know how it can be. As most D2 owners may know the Hill-Decent/Traction-control/Abs is all linked and the brakes do most of the work. On the series I discovery the centre DIFF lock could be engaged when the going got tough, which linked the front and rear diff's together. Well, with the D2 the engineers thought 'We don't need the Centre diff any more so we'll just re-move the linkage and just let the Traction Control the Shi%$# work.'

As a result anyone who takes a peek at there D2 will realise that the linkage for the Centre Diff lock is still there but not connected to the cabin.

It wouldn't take a degree in rocket science to realise that the linkage could be made to work the lever in the cabin and then D2 owners could then have a Centre Diff lock and traction control.

How good is that, Answers on a post card plz.
The only thing is, if you manually engage diff lock,the ABS/TC/Hill descent is disabled.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Depending wheter you engage the CDL before or after you start will determine if you have ETC. In his case, he has a 97 without ETC.
Mike J.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Confusion

I've got a '97 Series I Discovery ( CDL) with a non working ABS and no ETC.

I havn't had the chance to do any serious off roading yet but I'm off to the Bush in the new year and I'll be going with a couple of mates ( Land Cruiser and a Patrol) As for getting stuck, it hasn't happened yet but its always best to take a few mates to get you out. The tracks I'm going to are well out of the way ( Miles from anywhere) and anybody.

Peace
Wes

·
Registered
121 Posts
Disco Mike said:
Depending wheter you engage the CDL before or after you start will determine if you have ETC. In his case, he has a 97 without ETC.
Mike J.
I was just commenting on Wes DownUnder's info about Disco 2s. I didn't know it made a difference when the diff lock was activated,when i did the course at Gaydon we were just told it would counteract the electronics if manually selected.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts