Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Disco II, and beginning the major service process. What do y'all do with the splash guards underneath? I can't seem to get them out without removing some major parts. Are they important? Can I just cut them out and forget about them ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
380 Posts
What do you mean splash guards. Are you referring to the guard under the oil filter? mud flaps? or what? I can't really think of any that would interfere with the high mileage maintenance list.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I'm referring to the "plate" that is underneath the oil filter, engine, etc. I'm not sure the material, but it does not appear to be anything that is super strong, it just keeps the underside of the engine clean is all I can tell. My wife has a LR4, and she has a metal skid plate under hers. Very easy to remove, just loosen the bolts, and it falls right down. However on mine, it is wedged in between the engine and the axles, and is only connected by a couple of small screws. I'm sure it is there to offer some sort of protection, from small debris, and it appears to be keeping everything fairly clean. However I can't access anything from underneath with it in the way.

· Registered
356 Posts
i pulled all the plastic from the bottom of mine years ago. left the side ones to keep tire spun mud from getting into the engine compartment though

· disco biscuit
1,062 Posts
I don't think anybody told you what you needed to hear yet. You absolutely don't need to cut the bellypan out to get it off. I think its held in place by six maybe 8 screws and might be kindof wedged in there. But is in no way difficult to remove. You should have someone help you look this thing over and get used to it. Why the hell would you wanna cut it out?....

Second its not critical or protecting anything from impact but stuff gets slung under there alot and increases fuel eco a tad...There's wires and sensors, ckps comes to mind. Having said all that mines still off from last time I looked for leaks and am I gonna stop doing other work, to put it back on...no. IMA wait till next time I'm under there as mines not a daily driver. At least I have the option to put it on or take it off...talking about cutting it off is senseless because you ....think...its gonna be hard....? Why don't you give it a whirl first before cutting it of which is actually more work than taking a few screws out and yanking on it. Hell I would reccomend buying a metal one to replace it. More protection is always better. Especially when I drive.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Found some pretty easy advice of just jacking the disco up and the space gets larger and easier to remove. I'd love to keep the guard, as it seems to keep thing cleaner and offers a little protection from small debris and stuff like y'all said. Just curious if most people kept or trashed. I've got it figured out now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.