Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK! Finally done after much tinkering to get the right fit! I'll try to get some trail picks soon. 4" SG custom springs with Fox 8-way adjustable resv. shocks.

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
Dayum!!! Nice job man!!!!

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'm like a little kid,,,but can't hit the trail until Saturday,,,can't wait to test it out. Here's a pic of the ride height. Pic doesn't do it justice but remember those are 33's with all that space between the top of wheel & the fender! (Disco's so damn bulky that tires don't look all that big until you hit 35's,,,) My thanks go out to Jeff at JCRover 4x4 in Denver !!!

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
it's a D2.

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's one on the way up to the trail. I'm waiting on some pics to be emailed to me so hopefully I can post some actual off-road up here soon.
PS- the Rangie Classic behind me was just beautiful! --and built up very nicely ! I have a whole new respect for classic rangies,,,both on-road aesthetically & off-road capability !

· LRO Founder
1,888 Posts
SCSL said:
Running w/out the sway bars is freaking me out a little bit,,, I'm gonna look into some disconnects.
That's just plain unsafe.. why did you remove them??

Serg

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
01001010 said:
HOLY HEK...that second pic looks Dangerous!
Nah, not dangerous. This isn't really articulation, just a lean. I followed the Defenders up this trail to get a feel for the movement w/out the sway bars & feel much more comfortable w/ it now. It takes a few days to get used to it on the road, but huge difference off road.

· Registered
590 Posts
#15 looks like the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland

· LRO Founder
1,888 Posts
Not running sway bars on the street is quite dangerous on these vehicles. Get some quick disconnects if you really want to be able to disconnect them.

Serg

· as good as it gets
331 Posts
Yeah Serg,

You are very correct, but seems most of the hardcore just remove the sway bars all together....not smart in my opinion...I would go with quick disconnects myself, but what ever floats you're boat.

On a side note about 3yrs ago I was running down the expressway right behind a Green Land Rover D1. I was driving a 97 Yukon 4dr 4x4 with a 3" lift at the time...running BFG AT 285-75-16's. The Disco in front of me was bare stock....long story short there was a flat bed truck in front of us...with a loose box...looked like something a air conditioner or dishwasher had been in.

The box blew off the bed of the truck right in front of the Disco...and he ran directly over it at about 65mph....I was right behind him and It flipped up in front of me and I ran over it too, but just like it wasn't there. My Yukon didn't even budge...just plowed over the box, but the Rover in front of me was in all kinds of parrel..as the box completely threw him out of control and he swayed back and forth in front of me widely while I slowly got on the brakes to put some distance between us. I thought the guy was actually going to save it as he got slowed down to about 40mph but still didn't have full control as he was still swerving widely, and at the last minute he went head on into the concrete middle guardrail and then the Disco tipped over on it's side.

As I passed right by him still running about 55mph...as I never got hard on the brakes because we were running in 5 lanes of one way freeway traffic and I didn't want someone plowing into the back of me, so I just maneuvered to miss him and barely did.

The moral of this story is;

If he had not had sway bars on his Disco he would not have even had a fighting chance of about 10 seconds to fight his rig to regain control, because I am positive without a doubt he would have rolled it immediately once hitting the box. I got to see first hand just how tippy Disco's are because as he fought to gain control of his truck it actually came up on two wheels several times while he swung back and forth across all 5 lanes of traffic in front of me.

Keep in mind as well this was a stock disco without no lift.

If you don't drive you're truck over say 35mph then removing sway bars not a problem, if you go any faster than that you're just waiting for disaster.

And anyone that tells you a Disco is not tippy, top heavy, is full of it. :cool:

Last, but not least...he did go head on into the median, but he had slowed his truck by at least 10-15mph and the damage was minimal really. If he had of rolled it at 65mph, well you get the idea.

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Serg & Todd these are good points & I don't dispute them. However, for those who do in fact take their Disco on severe off-road trails, the opposite is also true. Remember that the same body roll that sway bars prevent on-road is reproduced off-road to the same extent. In other words, the sway bars off-road create extreme body roll that will likely lead to rollover on 5+ rated obsticales off-road. The disconnect idea is the safety & comfort compromise but most stiff, long-travel shocks serve similar purpose on road. If I was doing a great deal of daily driving, in a metropolitan area, I would 100% agree with you. I guess it's a matter of drive style, driver experience, and nature of on-road & off-road driving. :drink1:

· as good as it gets
331 Posts
SCSL said:
Serg & Todd these are good points & I don't dispute them. However, for those who do in fact take their Disco on severe off-road trails, the opposite is also true. Remember that the same body roll that sway bars prevent on-road is reproduced off-road to the same extent. In other words, the sway bars off-road create extreme body roll that will likely lead to rollover on 5+ rated obsticales off-road. The disconnect idea is the safety & comfort compromise but most stiff, long-travel shocks serve similar purpose on road. If I was doing a great deal of daily driving, in a metropolitan area, I would 100% agree with you. I guess it's a matter of drive style, driver experience, and nature of on-road & off-road driving. :drink1:
All points taken and I agree with you 100%. If you do more wheelin than everyday driving I would remove them as well. No point in disconnects.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.