Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, plenty has gone wrong so far (like a head bolt that rounded off and just about gave me a coronary) so I thought I'd share some good news for a change! These JL audio 6" subs fit "perfectly" into the rear door after some panel trimming. The magnets are almost as big in diameter as the speakers themselves. Clean install that uses the factory mount and speaker grille, though. Going to install an Alpine PDR-75 5 channel amp to replace the HK, and get a new head unit. There's a crummy old JVC in there right now. Anyone know why Crutchfield says the Alpine head units won't fit the Disco 2? I can't imagine why they wouldn't work just fine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Did the JL Audio subs help with low end sound? Are they worth it I guess is what I'm getting at.

I'm getting ready to do some serious chopping on the dash to install a Pioneer Appradio 3 double din. I'll post up on how that goes.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ArmyRover, JL subs are ALWAYS worth it. Those were $150 each on Crutchfield. I haven't gotten to really play with them yet, I just tested them to make sure they were getting a signal and the difference is already pronounced. I also put about 6 sq ft of Hushmat in the rear door. Once I get the new amp and a proper head unit installed, we'll see how they do. Gotta put the engine back together first though!

Dinoco, I actually went ahead and called Crutchfield to see what the reason was, and they said the Alpine head units are a fraction of an inch too long so they "technically" aren't a perfect fit, but in a real world situation you can work around that.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Wow never would have guessed they were that expensive. I was thinking of just putting a shallow mount 10 on the door. I'm probably going to add a old school PPI 5 channel amp to the system as part of the redo.

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
I passed on kicker 6.5 subs this weekend for 55$ a piece at best buy. I plan on doing something with it but I really wanna do away with that mount and the pocket to install slide out toolbox deal there. The location really makes the whole door sound like **** much less with and upgrade...idk i had reservations...I'm thinking one 8 or 10 somewhere in there and a new head unit and door speakers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$150 may seem like a lot, but I've owned plenty of subs in the past, and nothing compares to the quality of the JL speakers. You get what you pay for, trust me.

As for the speakers sounding bad in the rear door, that's probably true if you just toss some speakers in there and do nothing else. I added Hushmat to my door while I had the panel off, and when I tested the subs the other day the only vibration I was getting was at the latch, and only then when the door was open. When I shut the door things were nice and tight. I have seen some clean installs that use an upward firing box mounted in the jump seat location, however. Good alternative, just takes a little extra fabrication work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.