Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working with my new 2002 discovery2
Lights flicker and I can hear a relay chattering under the drivers side dash.
Light work fine when switched on.
Checking the main fuse and relay panel under the steering wheel, I do not see and or cannot isolate which relay is chattering. Seems to be more forward than the main panel
I would assume that I can find it in the rave but thought someone who has experienced similar may be able to help me know what I am looking for and where to look for it
Anyone know is it controlled by a relay?
What is it called?

· Registered
14 Posts
I would have to look in my d2 but I had a crazy flicking and ground issue on my d1. It was the harness on the bulbs and was not clear until really look at it. Looks like it got hot and burnt up a little bit. Never Burnt a fuse out but that's what it was. Just wanted to throw it out there

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finally got time to get deeper into my flickering headlight issue and take a close look at the wiring schematic.
To review all light worked but daytime running lights flickered and distinct clicking/ relay chatter from the main under dash fuse panel when the truck is put into gear. Clicking stopped and all lights work normally when manually switched on.

Even while testing with a standard 12 v test light the flickering was noticable.
Same noticable with a separate ground supply.
When looking at the wiring I noticed what was referred to as a "inline resistor" between the b.c.m. And the daytime running light module. It was labeled as being behind the drivers side headlamp.
So I popped the drivers side lense out and quickly realized that there was not a heat sink resistor like my other truck (2000 d2)
On closer inspection I found that the connector that goes to the heat sink on the 2000 was taped to the headlight harness (looked factory) and there was a pigtail jumper wire on the end. Unplugging this pigtail caused the daytime running lights to not work!
I removed the heat sink from my 2000 ( years of reliable use but is now my parts truck).
Installed the heat sink on my 2002 and all lights work perfectly, no more clicking/ chattering and all is good!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.