Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· 94 Defender 90
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend just got a 99 Disco Series II and we've taken it off-road a bit lately. The oil temp light has been coming on periodically in low-range. This is during normal, flat trail driving. No steep inclines or deep mud. If you stop and let it cool down for a few minutes it turns off, but only to come back on again a few minutes later. I'm starting to think it's just something funky with the sensor because it's only been around 68 degrees and it doesn't seem to do it in high range on road.

If anyone has any experience with this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Chris

· 94 Defender 90
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
did a little research and found that water from the AC may be falling on the sender and could be causing problems. Probably going to have it checked out anyway though. Are there any signs of overheating that I can check for? Just incase the warning light is actually legit.

Thanks in advance

· Registered
106 Posts
how many miles? Id definately do a complete system flush, not a drain and refill, but a complete flush. Clean the filter, check for leaks and/or pinched oil lines. Check the sender to see if thats problamatic.

· Registered
33 Posts
The overheated transmission light showed up on my 99 recently. After driving in mud/snow for a couple hours the light appeared. It's on permanently now. I suspect the flying slush dislocated the wires or otherwise damaged the sending unit.

· Registered
33 Posts
My warning light has been on non-stop since a March Moab trip in the snow and mud. Then yesterday, while off-road, I noticed it had gone out. My wife promptly told me I was on my way toward running into a boulder. But goodness, it's not everyday your LR heals itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.