Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there from Adam in NYC

I am thinking of a quick project in the safety department. I seems everytime I put the gearbox into reverse, there is a jaywalker trying to walk into the back of my D1. It is just so like car accidents: almost always in clear weather, when you are trying to get to your distination, and when you least expect it. :confused

On the D1, I have two or more locations I waz thinking of mounting one or two backup lights.

First was on the rear brake light inside facing downward. Another was I just got some endcaps on the rear and I can crave out one of the reflectors and put a mini-fog facing the target zone.

Of course, I have a tailgate hitch with two addtional lights but the trailer cables don't bring out the reverse circuit.

Finally under the bumper.

I unfortunately am an urban dweller in a high crime area but, so far, nobody has tried to hit the vehicle.

I also don't dig local vendors trying to soak us for $85 for a single stupid Hella 55w backup light when you can buy a pair for $25 at the local carshop. Huh. :confused

·
Mod. --- I'm watching you
324 Posts
I put mine on the rear of the roof rack like this:

I custom made the brack to mount it this way but it wasn't that hard. I also ran the wiring inside the rack but you don't have to do that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here is my set-up.

$10 a piece Hella worklamps. The left one is piggybacked onto the reverse lights. The right is wired up to operate independently via a dash switch.

LMK if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
stu454 said:
Here is my set-up.

$10 a piece Hella worklamps. The left one is piggybacked onto the reverse lights. The right is wired up to operate independently via a dash switch.

LMK if you have any other questions.
That's not gonna work in NYC, some guy in a delivery van will rip them off in an instant. Plus, Adam has a DI and the end caps aren't very strong.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Adam in NYC USA said:
I also don't dig local vendors trying to soak us for $85 for a single stupid Hella 55w backup light when you can buy a pair for $25 at the local carshop. Huh. :confused
???? What light are you talking about?

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John C said:
???? What light are you talking about?
HL81105 Hella Reverse Lamp, Wide Angle Beam, Chrome plated housing. Mounts upright. Includes 12V, 20W 78165 bulb

Another site rallylights.com wants $50.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Adam in NYC USA said:
HL81105 Hella Reverse Lamp, Wide Angle Beam, Chrome plated housing. Mounts upright. Includes 12V, 20W 78165 bulb

Another site rallylights.com wants $50.
So your saying you can get that same light at a car shop for a lot less? Are you sure?

I know for sure Susquehanna Motorsports has some pretty good deals on Hella lights.

Just as a comparison:

Rovertym sells the Hella 4000s for $150 each.
EE sells them for $115 each
Pangea Expedition sells them for $114.95
Susquehanna sells them for $104.59 (fogs or pencil) and $96.56 (eurobeam)

On top of that, we offered 10% discount on lights from Susquehanna's site. When I signed up for sponsorship on this site I asked Serg if he would prefer a percentage of 4x4AG's sales generated by LRO or discounts for the members, and Serg suggested "discounts for the members of LRO". So, if you can find Hella lights for less than the prices I mentioned above please let me know....

·
Registered
37 Posts
There was a recent write-up in LRMNA with yet another mounting option. Used the Hella Micro DE's if I remember correctly. Way out of the ballpark $ you're talking, though... Might still give you an idea for a different mounting location. :dunno:

·
Registered
302 Posts
bump

Anyone thought of using the 7.99/pair set of 55W lights from Harbor Freight on the D1 rear endcaps? (below the brake lights basically) I have a set lying around, and I also need some better back up lights, so I'm thinking, why not?

Also, anyone ever mount them from the door? I remember seeing somewhere someone making a bracket and mounting them from the top of the rear door. I've spent the last couple of days looking for the link, but no luck. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Edit: Just remembered, here's a great write up on rock lights/back up lights. The one's used are tiny so they can be hidden really well, and about $25/pair, but they throw a LOT of light. Link to thread at Pavementsucks.com Check out the pics to see what I'm talking about (half way down the first page).

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
About mounting on the back door w/o making holes.

DiscoTex said:
Also, anyone ever mount them from the door? I remember seeing somewhere someone making a bracket and mounting them from the top of the rear door. I've spent the last couple of days looking for the link, but no luck. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Edit: Just remembered, here's a great write up on rock lights/back up lights. The one's used are tiny so they can be hidden really well, and about $25/pair, but they throw a LOT of light. Link to thread at Pavementsucks.com Check out the pics to see what I'm talking about (half way down the first page).
Actually yes. You can look for either a truck lip mount for cb or ham radio antenna or a pair of them if you are going to use worklights (like me) and make sure to use stranded (not solid) wire for the electrical connections.

The top of the door is a excellent place to install mobile antenna and a setup you describe. In fact, you probably gave me the easiest solution for backup lights.

Try to get the more expensive trunklip mounts that have all the bolts and hardware so you can properly invent the bracket and stuff you need for the lights. I would even look for a quick disconnect so when you park you don't lose the lights via theft.

Nice going! and those other lights look great. I just wonder if they will survive a direct rock strike and can handle a tough weekend of mud. Good planning and waterproofing seem to be the word for today.

Thanks for the ideas!

Adam in NYC

·
Registered
302 Posts
Adam in NYC USA said:
Actually yes. You can look for either a truck lip mount for cb or ham radio antenna or a pair of them if you are going to use worklights (like me) and make sure to use stranded (not solid) wire for the electrical connections.

The top of the door is a excellent place to install mobile antenna and a setup you describe. In fact, you probably gave me the easiest solution for backup lights.

Try to get the more expensive trunklip mounts that have all the bolts and hardware so you can properly invent the bracket and stuff you need for the lights. I would even look for a quick disconnect so when you park you don't lose the lights via theft.

Nice going! and those other lights look great. I just wonder if they will survive a direct rock strike and can handle a tough weekend of mud. Good planning and waterproofing seem to be the word for today.

Thanks for the ideas!

Adam in NYC
You're right, that actually makes a lot of sense :D I'm going to have to look for those brakets now. Just a follow up: should I just scew them into the door and use some silicone to seal the holes? That's the only thing that's discouraging me as I don't really want to drill into the rear door.

Oh, and those lights? They probably can. If you notice though, they're tucked really out well out of the way, so a direct strike is probably not an issue. The mud and everything is just like any other light I'd imagine, but even if they break, it's still cheaper to replace these than some expensive Hellas or IPF's, etc.

Glad to help man, I'm always for a cheaper alternative :drink1:

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Huh? Maybe you don't know what I can talking about?

DiscoTex said:
You're right, that actually makes a lot of sense :D I'm going to have to look for those brakets now. Just a follow up: should I just scew them into the door and use some silicone to seal the holes?
Maybe you are not familiar with the trunk lip mounts. Here are two on eBay for a great price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Comet-Prestige-...tcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You can also buy just the bracket for way cheaper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Trunk-Mount-Ant...tcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These usually run in price for about $40.00 to $80.00 apiece (no kidding). You may not readily see it but there are two swivel joints held with a allen screw you can lock when you get the proper angle in two degrees of movement (up/down & left/right). (Oops, wrong mount but if you look for them, you will know which one I meet, sorry).

Here is a photo of the bracket itself so you can see the mechanics. You can then remove the antenna connector and place the light up on the top. Plus it is coated in extra tough black paint. Notice the twist off knob for theft protection and for fixing the angle of the light.

You don't have to make any holes into the door. The mount even comes with a metal plate to not make the screws on the bracket cut into the car paint.

Adam in NYC

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
beezel said:
if your afraid of people walking behind you try using a backup alarm that is required on all trucks.
I do. Unlike conventional people on the rest of the planet, where I live people walk onto oncoming traffic and when you go into reverse, walk and stand into the space you are trying to back into.

I can't help it if stupid is contagious. I do live in Spanish Harlem; the rest of the city is not much better.

As for the requirement of all trucks, yes most commercial trucks have backup alarms but some still don't.

The same operators who have these ill-equiped trucks would rather use their Jake brakes in the middle of a residental neighborhood in the middle of the night instead of being considerate and using their airbrakes.

Well, nature abhors a vacuum. If you got rid of all the stupid people, the universe would just make more of them.

At least the universe has a sense of humor.

Adam in NYC

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Adam,
I tried something different when I installed my new rear bumper. Since I didn't mount any lights in my bumper, I used my old reverse lights as turn indicators with amber lights and mounted one of Hellas work lamps on top of the rear license housing.
It blended in because both are made of black plastic. I tried the 55 watt bulb that came with it and switched to a 100 watt and now nobody can say they didn't see me backing up.
This light comes as a single or double bulb.

Mike J.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great job!

That is a beautiful install! Well done. It Looks great. Another great idea.

Adam in NYC

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
The picture of the truck was a little tilted, but it was the only shot I had of it.
Can you imagine 200 watts from one light instead of two 20's.
I will be curious to see how you mount your lights.
Mike J.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Adam in NYC USA said:
Maybe you are not familiar with the trunk lip mounts. Here are two on eBay for a great price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Comet-Prestige-...tcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You can also buy just the bracket for way cheaper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Trunk-Mount-Ant...tcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These usually run in price for about $40.00 to $80.00 apiece (no kidding). You may not readily see it but there are two swivel joints held with a allen screw you can lock when you get the proper angle in two degrees of movement (up/down & left/right). (Oops, wrong mount but if you look for them, you will know which one I meet, sorry).

Here is a photo of the bracket itself so you can see the mechanics. You can then remove the antenna connector and place the light up on the top. Plus it is coated in extra tough black paint. Notice the twist off knob for theft protection and for fixing the angle of the light.

You don't have to make any holes into the door. The mount even comes with a metal plate to not make the screws on the bracket cut into the car paint.

Adam in NYC

*little kids voice* OOOooooohhh! :eek:

Ok, now I know what you're talking about. The Disco that I saw didn't use that, but that is a great way to mount anything without putting any holes in the door.

A tad more than what I want to spend though. Still, good to know. :drink1:

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ouch

DiscoTex said:
*little kids voice* OOOooooohhh! :eek:

Ok, now I know what you're talking about. The Disco that I saw didn't use that, but that is a great way to mount anything without putting any holes in the door.

A tad more than what I want to spend though. Still, good to know. :drink1:
OUCH. $5.00 brackets way too much? You have way more more money problems than me. :bawling: :eek: :confused :bawling:

I bought a pair and when I have a few moments will mount those Hella worklights in the back. Just wonder if I need some shades for the top of those lights.

Adam in NYC

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.