Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again everyone. I am in a classic dillema: I like the height and ability of the RR, but hate the MPG. My decision to buy one or not is hinging on MPG, distance per tank, price per refuel, and average refuelings a month. I understand what the RR is, and that if I really want MPG, to go with a hybrid, but I really want a RR. So, if people could list their information for the above list, whether its a 4 or a 4.6, and if its their daily paved driving info, it would be of great help to a hopefully future RR driver. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
139 Posts
depends on the year.

Cabot said:
Hello again everyone. I am in a classic dillema: I like the height and ability of the RR, but hate the MPG. My decision to buy one or not is hinging on MPG, distance per tank, price per refuel, and average refuelings a month. I understand what the RR is, and that if I really want MPG, to go with a hybrid, but I really want a RR. So, if people could list their information for the above list, whether its a 4 or a 4.6, and if its their daily paved driving info, it would be of great help to a hopefully future RR driver. Thanks in advance!
What year are you looking at? They all differ.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking at a 2000, which JD Power rated to be the best year for mechanical reliablity.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a '97 HSE 4.6. My average around-town mileage is around 12.5-14.5. On the highway I can get closer to 17. I refill 24 gallons when my low-fuel light comes on. My worst miles-per-tank was 280, and my best was about 400, with my average being around 320-340. I have seen people post about getting 17 around town, let me tell you they are full of ****. Expect your average mileage of mixed driving to be around 14-15mpg.

-Coach

·
Registered
489 Posts
My 95 4.0 gets about 12-14 mpg in town, and in 70 miles of about 55mph driving (trip computer reset before starting the trip) I got a record 18.1 mpg. The average for the whole tank was about 17.5 mpg (mostly highway, and the message center can tell you what your average tank speed is) Like CoachDitka said, usually between 300-400 miles between fillups, and I find varying greatly depending on the kind of driving your doing. The 4.0 / 6 actually get better gas mileage than the older Classics with smaller (a tiny bit) engines. Our 3.9 92 Classic gets about 11-12 in town and maybe 15 on the road. During last winter (mid-NH) with lots of snow driving, gas mileage was down to 6 mpg on the whole tank!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you both for your replies. Its been very helpful in determining if a Range Rover would really work for me. I remember reading that someone got 22.3 with an HSE on the highway, but it would seem that they were I don't know, bending the truth just a tad? :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I get about 15 mpg on a 99 P38 4.0. I definetely aint my VW GTI when it comes to gas mileage! It seems the cost of ownership of this car is more than the average car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I guess it's maybe theoretically possible if you fill up at the top of a slope in Montana, then don't worry about slowing down too much on the inclines... momentum driving is a powerful thing in saving fuel (hence why the 4.0/4.6 actually use slightly less than the 3.9/4.2's classics at times - they're that much heavier that they 'roll' better).

I'd agree with the figures above btw, my '96 4.6 pretty much does the same. Worst I've had was about 9.4 highway towing a big U-Haul trailer at 70.

Oddly enough, I've found that the Shell 92 octane will add around 10-15% gas mileage (unless somehow Indiana is just that much more conducive to good gas mileage than Illinois). Since we don't have Shell here in IA, I normally go with BP/Amoco (after all, when in an English car...)

Rgds
Staffan Tj.
---
'96 RR 4.6 HSE
Rioja Red, Walnut

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Color me fortunate...
My 1993 Range Rover LWB gets 15mpg overall. The last two fill-ups gave me 16.2 and 16.1. I pump 87 octane into her as well.
Engine has 149,000 miles on it.
Imagine my reluctance to fix anything in regards to the engine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have to agree,I get around 22mpg on motorway @ 70-80 and between 12 and 16 around town when on petrol.LPG 18-19 mpg motorway and 10-12 arond town. :beer:

·
Registered
95 Posts
1991 Range Rover now at 170K miles

Gas Mileage average 14.0 MPG over 2001-2003.

Mostly round town, some highway.

Lowest 10.9, highest 20.9 in Northern California BUT vapor in tank can cause false fill-ups even if careful. Need to calculate based on at least 4-5 tanks.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
UK vs US gallon

1955diesel said:
22.3 mpg sounds about right in UK miles per gallon. Perhaps there is a mix up here? :confused
Your Imperial gallon is 1.2 of our heathen colonial gallon.

I have found that both my NAS 110, and my sons 93 LWB Rangie average the same, but that's not surprising as the weigh about the same and both have 4.2 engines, Though Aerodynamics of the 110 are slightly poorer than a refrigerator

·
Registered
76 Posts
Even with the difference in imperial and colonial gallons theres still a large gap between the figures.Perhaps the answer lies in a different spec or emmissions for the American market ??But whatever the reason you don't realise how much they drink until its you paying the bill :beer:

·
Registered
298 Posts
running away

The very fact that you are talking gas mileage should have you running away from a Land Rover. Buy a small econocar and do the dirt thing on a mountain bike. :buttrock:

Good grief, some guys can't take the accountant/manager hat off even for some wheelin'. I hear ulcers coming. :complain:

Screw the gas prices!! Keep driving the Rovers! Look, gas prices have doubled. So what. How many tanks a month? 4? Paying $15 more a fillup? Is $60 a month going to kill you? If you had a big fat wife, and food prices doubled, would you divorce her?? Huh?? :beer:

:drive:

·
3,205 Posts
Bwana,
Your my hero!
This may be the first time I have ever agreed with a person from Arkansas execpt that we both think Texas sux.
Anyway, well put.

Drive them Rovers boys, drive'm hard!!!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Screw the gas prices!! Keep driving the Rovers! Look, gas prices have doubled. So what. How many tanks a month? 4? Paying $15 more a fillup? Is $60 a month going to kill you? If you had a big fat wife, and food prices doubled, would you divorce her?? Huh?? :beer:

:drive:[/QUOTE]
I would love to pay $15 a fill up,try 22 gallons @ £3.65 a gallon, x4 fillups a month approx £320.not bad concidering minimum wage here is £4.40 per hour
before tax :bawling:

·
3,205 Posts
I did some math and speculating for us in the U.S.A. that is....

22 gallons UK = 26.4 gallons US (1 US gallon = 1.2 imperial)
at
3.65 pounds = 6.68 dollars a gallon (1 dollar = 1.83 pounds)
earning
4.40 pounds = 8.04 dollars an hour; our federal current minimum wage is 5.15 dollars. Some states have higher rates. Most varied from 6.25 to around 7.15. With San Francisco having the highest I could find at 8.50 an hour!

So if we had lost in 1776 or in 1814, and were still a part of the British Commonwealth we would be paying, considering no other factors. $6.68 per gallon. Costing me the equivilent of $176 a tankful. I would hope I had an equivilent job so I could afford to drive my Rover. So if I worked at minimum wage 8 dollars per hour for 40 hours per week and paid our USA current taxes I would earn a little under 350 dollars a week. So you can see gas would be half my earnings! Not including car insurance or the payment for the vehicle.

Now with that being said. If we were still part of the Commonwealth you chaps in England would be enjoying gas prices somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 pound a gallon. Considering no other taxes. We pay in Oklahoma something like .57 cents per gallon for taxes. It may be higher that was the last time I looked. Other states pay more. Only one state, I believe, pays less taxes on gas.

Of course we could discuss all week the tax policies of England and just because we got cheap gas doesn't mean they wouldn't tax the heck out of it anyway.

:confused :dunno:

·
Registered
76 Posts
"So you can see gas would be half my earnings! Not including car insurance or the payment for the vehicle."
Hits the nail on the head.Its no good owning a RR if you cant afford to run it??The original post was a question on fuel economy or the lack of it with a Range Rover.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the whole essence of this forum was to share every bodies experiences to help each other out,and that is what the posters were doing.I don'nt worry about mpg but its a good benchmark for the condition of my motor and other bits.PS nice history lesson,I'd forgotten those dates.

:drive:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a '92 Classic that get's 10-11 mpg City and 14 mpg. I have never got more then 245 miles out of my full tank. This is all after going to bigger tires (245/75/16) Hey I love it! We should be thankful our prices are not of those in Europe. Just think a bottle of water cost about a buck. Gas in terms of that is cheap. There's nothing like a classic. Takin it out to Hollister in the next few weeks.
:drink1:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts