Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what type of axles are on a 2001 DII? like dana 30's or what?

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
DII: Land Rover Corporate 24 spline,,, different than the Salisbury 24 spline which is 9.5".

The DII axle is fairly strong & breakage is virtually impossible w/ ETC, extremely unlikely w/ CDL, uncommon but possible w/ LSDs/TTs. You'll definately need to upgrade if you run automatic lockers like Detroits or selectables like ARBs. You should be able to safely run up to 33" tires on this axle if open diff. Your best source of aftermarket axles on a DII, that I've found, is Great Basin Rovers. He currently has an HD rear axle for DIIs and a front axle in the pipeline. Rover Tracks is doing little if anything for DIIs. If the stock axle doesn't suit your needs, for more info check out the GBR website: www.greatbasinrovers.com

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Axles

Drum665
Are you planning on going to lockers, if so with that large a tire, you should consider HD axles. I had a friend last summer, took out his rear axles and front case do to the light dutyness of them.
Also consider the BFG MT's instead of the AT's, much better tire both on and off the road.
One last thought, gears, if all that tire you will be loosing some power, may want to consider 4:11's especialy if you are going to get serious off the road. By the way 4:11's will alsao help your gas mileage also.
Good luck,
Mike J.

2,687 Posts
Disco Mike said:
Also consider the BFG MT's instead of the AT's, much better tire both on and off the road.
Agreed with better offroad.. but better on road? how do you figure? MTs wear faster than ATs, are louder, handle crappier at high speeds.. Even in the offroad aspect, ATs are better in some situations, especially sand and snow, and slick conditions.. MTs are great for what they are made for MUD! I've run both BFG ATs and now Interco trXus MTs .. I love the trXus', but the ATs in my opinion are by far the best on-road/light wheeling tires..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.