Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all. This is my first post.

I'm a first time LR owner. It's a Silver 2004 LR Discovery 2 SE with roughly 85000 miles, bought it in March 2014. It has a few things that need fixing, like leaking sunroof and oil leak, but until yesterday, that was all I thought I needed.

Here's what happened, my wife and I woke up and were taking our 2 year old to gymnastics. We were low on gas, light just came on, so we stopped at Shell to fill up, 93 octane. Then drove to gymnastics. Left there, and we're headed to the store, then made a pit stop at Starbucks. I came outside where my wife and kids were, still in the rover. My wife said, "I turned the car off because the oil and battery light came on". So she tried to start it again and it wouldn't. So I figured dead battery. Got my mom to come give me a jump. It worked. Jumped the LR and was headed to autozone up the street. I was pulling into the parking lot of Autozone and it killed going up the driveway entrance. So, me and mom and some random guy walking down the street pushed it into a parking spot. Popped the hood and and cleaned the dirty battery cables. Then went inside and bought a new battery. Installed the new battery, started right up. Left autozone and went to grocery store right up the street from there. Left grocery store, headed home, LR killed in middle of driving again, so we pulled into a parking lot off side the road. Got a ride home from my mom. I figured it was alternator. So my friend drives me to o'reilly's to pick up the alternator. Bought it, and went back to where the LR broke down, and changed it out. Cranked it up, started right up. Drove it home, thought I had it figured out.
So me and my wife had a date planned, we were driving to drop off the 2 kids at my parents. On the way there, the LR killed again right on the highway as I was turning into the neighborhood. I was stalled for about 5 minutes, for whatever reason, thank God it cranked up and I made it to my parents house, about 1/2 mile away. As I pulled up there, it killed again.

Now as a summary, it killed 5 times on me. 3 times in the middle of driving. I changed the battery to Duralast Platinum, and purchased new alternator. I also purchased a full tank of 93 octane that morning.

Not sure if it's bad gas, or bad fuel pump. Or whatever else??? I haven't experienced this in any way before yesterday.

Please let me know what y'all think.

Thanks,
Jeff
New Orleans, LA

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Sure sounds like a crankshaft position sensor failing.
When you say it "cranked up" was that different than before the alternator and battery? Read some posts on the crank sensor going in other threads on this site.
Sure sounds like that is what is causing your grief.

·
certified idiot
694 Posts

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
Those are typical symptoms of a crank position sensor. Generally good when cold but as soon as the vehicle warms it can shut down at any time and wont start until it cools down again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok sounds good. A guy I know said that sounds exactly ole he had in his range rover, and it was his CPS. So if rather change that than the fuel pump. Any good write ups on here on how to do this?
Thanks again for the help.

·
certified idiot
694 Posts

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
I probably have one in stock, likely OE if I have one.
good to see you on the forum PT - would be great if you chimed in a bit more :wave:
cheers
Barri

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
What's the difference in a CPS failing versus a fuel pump failure *or* both failing simultaneously?
generally speaking some of the symptoms are similar but a failing fuel pump will almost certainly have a problem holding pressure overnight so cold starting will generally be a problem, not so with a CPS (generally) also the fuel pump will in the lead up to full failure generally set codes for lean running, MAF problems and fuel trim (both LTFT and STFT) on both banks.

When you have really good behavious and the car generally starts on the first few turns of the engine cold but dies intermittently once warmed up with no codes its almost always the CPS. The CPS very seldom sets a code as all of the other systems take their que from the CPS so if it is failing the ECU generally doesn't know its failing :)
If both failed together you would still have to fix the CPS to figure out the fuel pump is going out. If you have the equipment its pretty easy to take a pressure reading off the schrader valve in the fuel system too ;)
cheers
Barri

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
What's the difference in a CPS failing versus a fuel pump failure *or* both failing simultaneously?
Fuel pumps typically fail when starting, CkPS always fail when running and hot.

Very common for CkPS fialure to be misdiagnosed as fuel pump as the fuel pump shutdowns when the ECU doesn't see a signal-for safety reasons. If you crash, you don't want the fuel pump to continue running.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Changed out the CPS, took about 2 hours. Haven't had any oroblems in 3 days! Hopefully that was it.
There was some oil on the broken CPS though when I pulled it, gotta get the oil leak fixed now.

Thanks to everyone for all the help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2003 Discovery
It was stalling out after about 5 mins and we figured it was the fuel pump.
Replaced the fuel pump and problem persisted.
Found out it was the Crank Sensor. Replaced it.
Ran fine for 3 days and now won't start at all.
It has gas and battery is fine.
At first it was sputtering, now it doesn't even try to catch when turning over.
Disconnected battery to try and reset computer.... To no avail.

Should mention that the 3-amigos (warning lights) are also coming on (with 3 beeps)

Any ideas?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.