Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a happy owner with my 08 Range Rover HSE with 56000 miles without any problems.. Last Friday, i brought my car to the dealer to get an oil change... Yesterday i get a call from them saying i have the check engine light on and need to run diagnostics which is going to cost me $200. So, me, not knowing much about cars, agreed to pay to have diagnostics... Few hours later the service advisor e-mails me the car needs to have more diagnostics which is gonna cost $1150 plus tax. Just for diagnostics. This is what she wrote:

"for the check engine light this is what need to be done to start may need additional

need to obtain fuel trim and codes, verify no vacuum leaks, perform fuel pressure test, make sure upstream oxygen sensor currant voltage flow is correct, ck for exhaust leaks, will need to start with flushing injectors, cleaning throttle body , clear codes, reset adaptations, relearn idle, drive cycle, then recheck fuel adaptions total to start will be $1150.00 plus tax

possible may need fuel injectors"

I told them to hold off on anymore diagnostics and took my car back today. The car was fine when brought to the dealer for a simple oil change, now it came back with a check engine light on and dealer is trying charge me over a thousand dollars just for diagnostics... Something doesn't seem right... Just a bad time for engine light to come on or being screwed? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
5 Posts
For me, it would depend on my experience with that dealer.

If every time (most) I brought the car in and they kept finding expensive things...I'd be a bit suspicious (but hey, these are Land Rovers after all, and stuff does break).

Based on the below, I think that they're just giving you a long list of things to justify the charge. What they should do IMO is start down the list one by one. Also, I find it hard to believe that they need to check/do all these things at 56K miles.

They should be able to look at the codes and determine what to do/check based on that. But looks like they are assuming that they have to do all that and I wouldn't buy it.

I'd take it to another dealer or an independent Land Rover shop (if you have one nearby) and get a second opinion.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I own a Land Rover shop and drive an HSE - and here's my perspective.....

If you were my customer I would advise you to go ahead and change the oil, reset the CEL by wiping all codes from ALL modules, and send you on your way. Many codes can result from low voltage, which is a very common code. If the CEL comes back, we deal with only the code that recurs.

I've had a 2006 HSE and currently drive a 2008 HSE. When I bought each of these trucks, the CEL was not on, but there were no less than 25 codes needing cleared, and both had a low voltage code. The CEL never recurred in either truck.

Hopefully you'll have the same experience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess i'll have to look for a good independent shop. It really bothers me how the dealer is acting this way tho... They will never have my business again.

Thanks for your replies, it is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It really bothers me how the dealer is acting this way tho... They will never have my business again.
I would be sure to notify the service manager or dealer principal about your decision and why. Sometimes the service writers have "targets" and you may have fallen foul of this...$200 for diagnostics sounds over the top - that's almost two hours of labour at dealer rate which is way over the time it takes them to do a "scan" even if they had ancient x86 laptops ;-)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts