Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

When I set off in my SIIA diesel its quite jerky (imagine sitting in your comp chair as you are now and shaking your hips back and forth swiftly and you get the idea), I initially thought it could be a grabbing clutch which I hope it aint!

However when I sent it for its first attempt at it recent MOT they said one of the rear prop UJs was worn and needed replacing.

To cut a long story short I sent it elsewhere and they didnt mention this so I haven't bothered doing it yet, but ive been thinking about the jerky movement and I think it could be caused by the worn UJ/s.

What does anyone else think???

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
handbrake

Is your handbrake releasing properly check it could well be that.

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
easy to check the U joints.
Just wiggle the prop shaft with your hands. if there is any play on the u joint it is worn. there is supposed to be no play whatsoever.

Otherwise I would also look at the clutch (Sorry mate it is a dirty business but someone would have to do it).

·
Registered
317 Posts
One other thing to check...the torque on the ubolts that hold the axle casing to the spring plates. If those are loose you'll get some shaking as you mentioned.

Bogatyr

·
Registered
97 Posts
SIIA-Pilot said:
Hi

When I set off in my SIIA diesel its quite jerky (imagine sitting in your comp chair as you are now and shaking your hips back and forth swiftly and you get the idea), I initially thought it could be a grabbing clutch which I hope it aint!

However when I sent it for its first attempt at it recent MOT they said one of the rear prop UJs was worn and needed replacing.

To cut a long story short I sent it elsewhere and they didnt mention this so I haven't bothered doing it yet, but ive been thinking about the jerky movement and I think it could be caused by the worn UJ/s.

What does anyone else think???
I would go looking for play in the props first,as mentioned above,it is easy too do ;)

·
Registered
843 Posts
Pedro said:
I would go looking for play in the props first,as mentioned above,it is easy too do ;)
I agree with the man from Spain (or is that Protugal??), start with the props, what you are looking for is any play in the hardy splicers (vertical and horizontal movement). Remember to check all four of them too!!

They are really easy to replace yourself too if you do have a worn one, half hour with a limited toolbox should do it!

If the Props are all good (as no play!) then it is something else.

Have you got free wheeling hubs? if so are both disengaged?

Have you been off roading lately? or deep water wading? or mud plugging? if so you could have a contaminated fly wheel housing and clutch plates. Dirt or/and oil will cause a jerky take-up of power!

When was the clutch last changed?

Check that your transmission brake is not binding!

Check that the drum brakes aren't binding too!

Hope this helps!

If you want to know how to test these things just ask

Hope this helps

Cheers

Geobloke

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help, sorry couldnt thank you till now I couldnt find the thread for some reason I thought it had been removed, must be going blind at 22!.

Anyway cheers all when I get a minute I will go get dirty!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts