Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi !! Complete Landy virgin - so treat me genty pls!

I've just been to see a locally advertised 110 c4 1989 DT - converted from hardtop to windows and benches (not sure of the terminology!) 13 yrs ago. Same owner 13 yrs, 85k miles (all MOTs to verify) and serviced annually locally. Used for horse towing work by very well off owners, and light estate stuff.
I did the basic checks - bulkhead OK, 4 new tyres, chassis sound (but mucky) engine not too smokey and started from cold OK (in -2c conditions!) Heater Ok, BUT - lots of oil on the top of the head and around the turbo, and
the drivers side A piller is rot. Now, I know the oil isn't good but is it acceptable. The Lady of the house has NEVER lifted the bonnet so no help there. The asking price is less then a thousand pounds.... MOT till May too...

I need help - it's what I want (perm 4 wheel drive and space to swing the dog) but is it a mutt - Do all 2.5 DTs blow oil a bit and this is just an accumalation?
Thanks for any help!!!

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Martin,
Defender bulkheads are equally prone to rot as the old sewries ones were. Rot in the the lower posts is easy to fix as there are relacement, weld in pieces. Rot in the upper section isn't so easily fixed for a few reasons. There are patch pieces available over here, so I have to assume you can also get them. Cutting them in and welding them up so it is cosmetically acceptable is a job for a professional. Usually, when the rust starts showing through to the outside, it's pretty awful inside. The good news is, new defender bulkheads are available, inexpensive (releative) and easy to replace.

The 2.5 TD is a workhorse, but old engine. It was replaced by the 200 TDi ('i' being for 'intercooled') Excessive oil on the top of the engine may (or may not) be from 'blowby' a condition casuing excessive crankcase pressure due to worn rings. A bit of blue smoke on starting is normal, as long as it goes away when warmed up. Black smoke is fuel, could be fauty injectors or injector pump timing. Take the oil fill cap off when the engine is running; is there alot of 'air pressure' Coming up? That's the 'blow by' indicating rings are worn.
A 200 TDi is the reasonable transplant, or even the newer 300 TDi.
The price doesn't sound bad for UK prices if the body work is straight, seals aren't all worn out, and frame isn't full of holes. You didn't comment on Gearbox, Axles, wheels, suspension busings, you know, all things that can cause clunks and general wallet leaks.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bargain 110

Thanks - That gives me more to look at ! Not a lot of smoke out of the engine, and the box/chassis/suspension all seems ok. The corrosion is all on the upper A Piller, from door frame to top right angle of the roofline.

I'll check to see if local welders can fix it cheaply

Martin

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
MartinD said:
The corrosion is all on the upper A Piller, from door frame to top right angle of the roofline.

I'll check to see if local welders can fix it cheaply

Martin
You have me confused (Not hard to do, so don't get a swelled head)
The A pillar is the portion of the bulkhead to which the front door hindges attach. From the top of the bulkhead to the roof is the windshield frame, which is an alloy (aluminium) casting.
It sounds to me like you are describing the B pillar, which is the post to which the rear door hindges attach, and to which the front door striker plates are attached, These pillars are steel and do commonly rot out, but usually at he junction of the sills, and the sills thenselves, They are better replaced, and not repaired.

· Premium Member
1,301 Posts
MartinD said:
Hi !! Complete Landy virgin - so treat me genty pls!

I've just been to see a locally advertised 110 c4 1989 DT - converted from hardtop to windows and benches (not sure of the terminology!) 13 yrs ago. Same owner 13 yrs, 85k miles (all MOTs to verify) and serviced annually locally. Used for horse towing work by very well off owners, and light estate stuff.
I did the basic checks - bulkhead OK, 4 new tyres, chassis sound (but mucky) engine not too smokey and started from cold OK (in -2c conditions!) Heater Ok, BUT - lots of oil on the top of the head and around the turbo, and
the drivers side A piller is rot. Now, I know the oil isn't good but is it acceptable. The Lady of the house has NEVER lifted the bonnet so no help there. The asking price is less then a thousand pounds.... MOT till May too...

I need help - it's what I want (perm 4 wheel drive and space to swing the dog) but is it a mutt - Do all 2.5 DTs blow oil a bit and this is just an accumalation?
Thanks for any help!!!

Ok Ok Guys.............who's turn is it to bend over the virgin and lube him up!!! :D

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bargain 110

Terry - Thanks, it may be a continental difference in terminology, where we are the A pillar runs as the support for the door from roof to chassis, and joins the bulk head.

I regret the post of your colleague, and I've decided to try posting on another fourm.

Thanks again, and good luck in your future.

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Martin don't let them scare you off. They've probably gotten into the holiday punch. I don't mind a little lunacy, but it belongs on the Lounge thread. He doesn't know much about Defenders either, as they are far and away the least expensive of the Land Rovers when it comes to repairs and maintainance. Buying one over here, well that's a horse of a different color, but as someone else said, they can be built and rebuilt on the cheap, as parts are plentiful on both sides of the pond.

· Premium Member
1,301 Posts
TerryS said:
That was pretty random..........................and stupid.
holy sh!t..........maybe you're a little too grown up for my sense of humor. Let me know when your mail-order personality arrives. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.