Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Combo...

275/60/17 Toyo open country's and 17" Fuel wheels... And of course, now that I need two new one I find out they no longer make that size but luck be with me and found some!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello-
I am a new 2000 LR Ranger Rover owner. I will need to purchase new tires as the ones on now are not so great. HOWEVER- I looked on the inside of the driver's door and it quotes that the front tires should be 28 PSI and the rear 38 PSI. Sorry for the stupid question but is this right? I have only owned Toyota 4 runners and recently converted to LR RR- (I love it of course!) but am confused by the differeing PSI from front to back. Please let me know if this is normal - my tires now are old Yokohama 255/55/18. When I bought the RR from the owner she said the tires were in need of replacing- so I checked the cold tire pressure and they were each different PSI!!! Driver front= 33 Pass Front - 35 Rear driver = 35 rear passenger 36. . .Needless to say the drive was not so good- very unstable. . .any advice is appreciated and any recommendations on a good decent mid priced tire brand for this 2000 RR is appreciated too!! Many Thanks- DD

·
Registered
454 Posts
Since some people may choose to refresh their wheels before new tires, does anyone know the paint code for the factory wheels? Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Arsell, that is about the best write-up I've seen on for a tire conversion chart as I"ve seen. Thanks for taking the time to do this.......Time to start sweet talking the wife:beer:
-----------
On my car, the door panel says 31psi in the front and 29 in the back.
But my older brother who knows something about cars said that I should follow the max pressure on the tire itself, which is 44. He told me to pump it to at least 40. But which one is correct?

·
Registered
3 Posts
265/60 r18 on 2001 Disco 2 LE

I'm a new owner and wanted to thank everyone that posted good information.

Here's my setup with before and after pictures...

I got the wheels from a Range Rover.

They don't rub anywhere. I do have heavy duty springs on the back.

I have some 265/75 r16's tires I was thinking of putting on the old 16 inch wheels for "play". Where am I at risk of rubbing?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
People should be very careful about simplistic general advice like what is included here. For example, a road tyre will have a smaller diameter than a mud tyre in the same size tyre. The width of the tyre is measured at its widest part, that is, the bulge in the sidewall. It is not the width of the tread. The width of the tread will usually be the factor that causes any rubbing, etc. For example, I had a 235 tyre that had a wider tread than a 255 tyre. Finally, the tyre size is far from exact. The manufacturers are allowed to make tyres with the diameter being from 3% below the exact tyre size to 6% above. You can do the maths as to how much the actual diameter can vary on a 30 inch tyre. I have had 33 inch tyres that have measure close to 34 inch and 32 inch tyres that have been 31 inches.

So if people say that a certain tyre will fit a certain vehicle, make sure you are talking the same brand and tyre pattern.

You may also find this site useful http://www.lrautomotive.com.au/contents/en-us/d713.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
p76rangie, thanks for the reply.

My question is regarding the original post and "minor rubbing";

32"

275/70/16: possible to fit without lift. minor rubbing.

265/75/16: possible to fit without lift. minor rubbing.

Where do I look to see if I have "minor rubbing"? In other words, if I put on a tire that is just a little too big, where would I want to keep an eye out for a problem. Do the fronts hit first or the backs? Is it the inner fender during hard cornering or when the spring compresses fully.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to the Forums.

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
You will likely rub on the rear doors when flexed, you will rub on the front bumper cover and the back edge of the front opening. Also on the radius arms. I would not run tires that tall with no lift unless you are planning on cutting some clearance into those areas. Especially when you consider the amount of sag that stock suspension has by now.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
With running 265 tyres on standard rims, you should also check the clearance on the inside of the tyres to things like shock towers. To check clearances jack up one front wheel as far as you can and the opposite rear wheel at the same time. You can also use car ramps, etc for the same effect.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I don't mean to resurrect a thread from the dead but FINALLY a thread that gives simple straight forward answers! Thank you to whoever wrote this for GETTING TO THE POINT !

These other guys on the website want to turn something simple and straight forward into an astrophysics study !

Thank you !

21 - 33 of 33 Posts