Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
new to this forum, can i get a little advice?
i'm thinking of putting a second batterie on my 1986 3.5 v8.
do i connect the currant batterie's live to the 2nd bats live and the 2nd bats nutrulr (-) to the body? will the alternator charge both bats that way?
thanx
bloo :wave:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yes that is one way of doing it
+ to + and - to -
There are a few problems with this method one is that the two batteries should be of the same type ( age, crancking amps, charge rate etc) the reason being that load maybe drawn out of one faster than the other causing in balances between the two batteries ( like a seasaw of charge and draw ) and thus resulting in a shorter life span of the two batteries. Some people run this system for years with out a noticeable problem. The biggest problem with this system is if one of the batteris fails, a plate colapses, crackes and leaks or dies from age it will distroy the second battery in the process.
If the reason that you are thinking of a second battery for running a fridge then you should look at installing a deep cycle battery and not a crancking battery as it will last longer for this type of purpose. If it is for running spotlights or a winch the a crancking battery is more what you are after.
There are some great products out there that ensure both batteries are look after during charge and discharge.
Here is a great discription of various ways of setting up dual batteries.
Hope this helps
Adam

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx

yes, the batts are for a winch and lights and i bought them at the same time and they are both the same. thank you for the help. now it's time to fit all! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts