Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a new battery for the new winch I just ordered.
Planning on buying a Yellow Top.

My question is should I go with a standard size 34 ( Amazon $177) with just top post or a size 34/78 which is the same size but comes with both top and side post for $10 more. Both ship for free and no sales tax which make it a good buy. I want to buy before the 1st because Optima is giving away a free Digital 400 12- volt performance maintainer worth $100 with any battery purchase during April.

I was think it would be easier to connect a winch using the extra side post instead of piggy backing the main post.

Please chime in any let me know from your experience with winching and Batteries.

** Before you ask, There is no Sears near me and the Diehard's are more than the Yellowtop if I have to go find one or pay shipping and tax from Sears.

·
Mr. t
561 Posts
Haha, I was thinking sears the whole time.
Yeah, I'd get one with the post, makes it way easier.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Optima batteries are not generally the best for winches. Winches need a lot of power. Even though the optimas have reasonable output at 750CCA, they do not store a lot of power at only 55amphrs.
You are probably better off getting a battery the same as you main battery so that you can link them together when you are winching so that it doubles your CCA rating and amp hours.

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
A dual battery set up is much better than going with a single, as Ian mentioned. However, if you're not up for the necessary work involved in making space for the second battery along with the wiring and are committed to a single, you might want to look at Odyssey as an alternative to the Optima. It may be a little more expensive but the 1500 model is a group 34, so it will easily fit, and it has a great reputation, something that's up for debate with the Optima.

On a personal note, I did use a single Optima for a number of years, the big group 31 version, which put out plenty of power for winching. It was used on a grey market Range Rover that had plenty of room for the larger battery. It wouldn't fit in your DII without an awful lot of modification.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
You have to remember that deep cycle batteries are not really the best for winches, whether they be Odyssey or optima. The odyssey 1500 is a little better than the optima with it having 68 amphrs, but still not a lot of power for anything other than a shortish winch.

You can get kits for a second battery for a D2. It mounts up near the firewall. If you get a Odyssey or Optima, you can mount them inside the rear of the car in the side panel areas. Do a search you will find many ways people do it.

I have 2 700CCA 100 amphr batteries, so 1400CCA and 200amphrs in total and I still do not find it too difficult to severely deplete the batteries on a decent winch.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE: I decide to go the dual battery route. My batteries will not match so I will not wire them parallel. I will use a 200 amp solenoid triggered by a charge controller. The older interstate will remain the cranking battery and the winch will go on the optima. Any load will open the solenoid and allow the extra 200 amps of load. Step one was to build a dual battery tray. I am definitely not a welder but I think this will work. Tomorrow I will fab a hold down and begin making cables. My Disco has treated me well so lots of upgrades are going into it this spring.:drive:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Install Complete:
Finally finished the wiring for the dual battery. I installed the solenoid and 200 amp fuses under the new battery tray due to a lack of better location. A charger controller will monitor the batteries and engage the solenoid when necessary. Most write up's indicated to wire the solenoid to stay on with the ignition but I don't want to continually charge mis-matched batteries. It should only activate when a load is on the winch battery.

Also added wiring for a trailer brake controller.

New bumper is a big improvement over the cracked factory bumper. Now I'm ready for the local Colorado trails to open next week and put the new equipment to the test. ( Every year I head up to higher elevations and manage to get stuck in remaining snow):drive:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.