Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, I changed my plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor. Ran fine, no problems. Then I noticed that I had not put on the new coil wire the next day. Oh, well, so I change it out. Runs fine, no problem. Then the next day, my battery icon light stays on. Book says it is an ignition problem light. Coincidence in timing that it came on 2 dyas after plugs, etc changed? I went back and double checked all my connections, pulled the cap off, re-seated the rotor, put cap on, triple checked connections, switched coil wire back to old one, to see if new one was bad, no change. ?? Any ideas? :dunno:
It was also 'surging' - after I checked everything and started it back up, surge was gone...???

· Registered
490 Posts
Battery light usually means a charging system problem...if you rev the engine way up or when you're driving does it go out, or even dim? Mine would come on when the alternator in the 92 RR was going, or when the belt was too slack, or when I was running too many electrics. If all is fine with a given RR, then you disconnect the alternator belt and run on just the battery, that light will come on bright red. That's why it should come on. If your car runs still with the light on, put a voltmeter on your battery with the engine running. It should be 13+ volts or more, but less than 15v. Make sure wires on back of the alternator are still tight and none were accidentally jarred when changing plugs, etc.

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
uhh...I'm stupid!

OOOOOPS! well, I think I found the problem!! I'm looking over all the connections to and from the alternator, and something doesn't look right. hmmm...oh, shouldn't there be a BELT on that pulley!!?? yep- broken alternator belt laying in engine bay. - the one from alt to power steering.
So...Driving with no alternator belt- did I hurt anything??? :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.