Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2007 LR3...yippie.

After smelling a noxious oder, popped the hood and realized the battery was boiling over, what fun.

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem.

Not sure if it's doing it because the battery is going and not sending a correct (full) voltage back to the alternator, or if the voltage regulator is bad and i should replace the alternator.

Also I believe the charging system has the alternator with a power control module which controls the voltage setpoint, as well as the voltage setpoint regulation coming from the EMS. Might be one of these?..

No indicator lights on dash.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in Advance.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Welp,

turns out it was the battery. Filled it up with distiller water and it had a crack. It was pretty messed up, and ended up not giving the alternator enough voltage feedback to let it know it was fully charged.

Went to autozone and threw in whatever "they said" would fit in it. The specs are slightly off and last night it was having a tantrum, setting off the alarm, flashing the lights, turning the fans on randomly and the nav screen. I finally just undid the ground terminal.

I've heard that if the battery is not the exact specs that it will do funny things. Does this sound like a battery problem or a computer issue?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did a reboot of the system and it seemed to fix the freak-out. Haven't seen the flashers or the fan kick on yet after I shut it down.

I shut the LR3 completely down; waited 2 minutes; then undid the negative terminal; let it sit for about 10-15 minutes and put it all back together. After that no freak outs when I shut down.

But I still can't get the radio to work right, no volume. The last time it worked was when the old battery was on its way out. It went into limited power mode; where I could only turn it up to a limited value. Then the next time I started it I had no volume control.

The radio works, can select stations and everything. The only thing is no volume! I have read that you can connect the vehicle terminals to each other to reboot, but is this the same as undoing the negative terminal and waiting 10-15 minutes for all the capacitors to discharge? I'm a little anxious to try it since I got the freak outs to stop.

Any have any clues as to how to get the volume to come back?

· Registered
210 Posts
try the hard reset by touching the pos and neg together (obviously not touching the battery). THere are threads that go into more detail if you search. A word of advice as a Land Rover owner; bringing an LR3 to autozone and sticking in "whatever fits" is not going to yield great results. They are complex vehicles with a lot of electronics. You get what you pay for and it's worth doing things right.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah i bought the battery from autozone in a bind, it was either get it running with that or be stranded.

Bought it knowing i might have to replace it right away. But thx for the reboot tip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.