Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have a 2005 LR3 SE . I replaced the battery with an Interstate MTP-49/H8. I ordered it from a local shop about 6 months ago. After reading on the forum, I noticed that the vent tube hose isn't hooked up. There is no vent tube kit or elbow on this new battery.

I have a few questions that I hope you can help me with please:

1 - Does this battery come with a vent tube kit or elbow ? (The regional Interstate distributor is checking into this, but I'd prefer not to pay for something if it should come with the battery.)

2 - Does anyone know the size of elbow to use ? (If I just go ahead and get my own.)

3 - As it comes from the factory, are both the negative & positive ends of the battery vented ? This battery has vent holes on both sides.

4 - After reading about vent tubes on the forum, I discovered a long black plastic rubber tube. One end is disconnected. The other end leads down through a rubber grommet. This is the battery vent tube, is that right ?

Thanks in advance for your help with all these newbie questions ! I downloaded the LR3 shop manual but didn't see the battery vent tube mentioned. They do have illustrations of the battery though.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The local interstate place gave me an elbow.. it does not appear to come with the battery. You should be able to match the size to the tube in your battery box, but if it helps I'll take a picture with a scale if it helps.
I didn't notice that, only the front vent... I guess I should look again.

ya, sounds like the battery tube.

It's important to get / keep your battery terminals, including where the negative connects to the body clean. I use 3M 1600 clear electrical sealer. (spray bottle) The negative side of the battery also has a tendency to off gas from between the negative post, and the plastic. The 3M seemed to slow that down.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tlt - - - thanks. I went ahead and measured the hole with some calipers and will pick up an elbow this weekend. Thanks for your help. Best regards - - -

1 - 3 of 3 Posts