Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone pleeeaase tell me how i can get rid of the fan belt squeak on my 1996 (P) 2.5 300 discovery---everyone i ask informs me that"they always squeal" i refuse to beleive this--i have fitted a new belt

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi,it is true that the majority squeal,to the point that LR UK gave up on trying to find a cure.As an LR Tech. the only ways i have found are check the tensioner where the two halves of the body join,if you see strips of material sticking out,the tensioner is u/s,renew.I have also had some success by fitting a Gates belt and ensuring ALL pulleys are spotlessly clean.
Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have heard of people removing the tensioner, fitting a large penny washer behind it, then refitting it. Aligns the tensioner better or something like that. Worth a try, it will only cost a few pence!

HTH

·
Registered
16 Posts
Late 300 diesels have a smaller alternator pulley and consequentely use a shorter belt, not a lot of people know this including some parts people!!.

Lynall

·
Registered
5 Posts
SimonArmstrong said:
I have heard of people removing the tensioner, fitting a large penny washer behind it, then refitting it. Aligns the tensioner better or something like that. Worth a try, it will only cost a few pence!

HTH
Do the thing with the penny. Just loosen the tensioner nut, slide a penny or a big washer in at "9 oclock", and tighten up.

It works.

It's been discussed at length on the LRO forums.

Bruce.,

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
belts

Buy A tin of belt dressing I use it on all my vehicles quick spray no squeaks nowt also extends belt life and prevents cracking.IF want some I drive trains to Grangemouth from time to time
Cheers ONz

j 16rox said:
can anyone pleeeaase tell me how i can get rid of the fan belt squeak on my 1996 (P) 2.5 300 discovery---everyone i ask informs me that"they always squeal" i refuse to beleive this--i have fitted a new belt

·
Registered
5 Posts
belts

I tried all the usual things - new belt (twice - both sizes :), new bearing, cleaning, dressing, grease, wd40 etc etc etc.

All worked to a certain extent - but the problem always came back within a few hundred miles.

However, I then tried the "penny" trick, and it's been OK for 4000 miles.

The problem appears to be that the axis of the idler wheel is not exactly parallel to the axis of the other pulleys. This is probably due to wear in the idler mechanism.

To test, get a ring spanner that closely fits the idler nut, and with the engine running place it vertically over the nut. Grip with molegrips and gently twist anticlockwise (looking downward)

WARNING. Be careful. Fingers are not a field-replaceable component :buttrock:

If the squeal goes away when you twist the axle, try the permanent fix. Loosen the tensioner mounting nut (not the idler nut) by a couple of turns, and fit a spacer behind it at about "9 oclock". A large washer or a coin is ideal. You may have to experiment with position and thickness.

Bruce.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts