Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '94 D90 squeals when I start it. I have adjusted the belts a few times and it works for a couple of days and starts squealing again. Any suggestions? It was like this when I bought it, and being a relatively new owner, I am not sure I have all of my bases covered.

Thanks.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Are you sure its the belts and not the pullys?

What ever you do, dont use belt dressing.

It sounds like the bearings on the pullys are worn out.

That wont be fun to have seize up when your in a hot arid place.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Another possibility worth checking is the waterpump - sounds silly but when they start to fail they will leak when cold. That being when there is no pressure in the cooling system to force the seal onto the shaft of the pump. The coolant can leak out onto the drive belt and cause a squeal on first start up in the morning. As the engine warms and pressure builds in the cooling system the leak stops and any coolant on the engine / belts evaporates.

Seen this on several other cars other than Landies so might be worth a check!

Agai n as above check all pulleys, tensioners and other ancillaries driven by the engine. Dry bearings can give the same symptoms.

Good luck!

·
MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
Buckle said:
Another possibility worth checking is the waterpump - sounds silly but when they start to fail they will leak when cold. That being when there is no pressure in the cooling system to force the seal onto the shaft of the pump. The coolant can leak out onto the drive belt and cause a squeal on first start up in the morning. As the engine warms and pressure builds in the cooling system the leak stops and any coolant on the engine / belts evaporates.

Seen this on several other cars other than Landies so might be worth a check!

Agai n as above check all pulleys, tensioners and other ancillaries driven by the engine. Dry bearings can give the same symptoms.

Good luck!
Not being funny, but does anyone else notice that the thread titled "Belts" was answered by the LRO chap "Buckle". I just thought that it was funny.Perhaps I should keep these things to myself and the voices that tell me to burn stuf......... :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Solution: Turns out that it is a slightly sticky alternator. The new belt is getting stretched a bit because of the relative difficulty of getting the thing to turn. Once its tightened, its fine for a few days, and then stretches a bit and squeals again. Although not necessary yet, a new alternator would fix it.

I guess this leads to another question: Being new to the Defender, is there anything I need to watch out for when replacing a D90 alternator?

Also, I apologize for not having put this in the Defender category.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Replacing an alt on a D90 is very easy. You might want to consider a higher amp alt. I have the 200 amp Mean Green alt on my Disco and installed a 200 amp on a customers D90 w/o any problems. Just a thought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.