Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So for those of you who already have one of these tools would love some feedback because I'm new to this brand and I don't all the details.
what can you do with some that i can't do with others?

-IIDTool? This bluetooth diagnostic is so expensive $500+, why is this special, does this have extra features that the rest dont?
-Foxwell NT510, or NT520 above models- $130 -this appears to be a more complete scanner/diagnostic tool than icarsoft?
-icarsoft? brand specific model for around $100-$145 v1 or v2., seems basic but popular, what's your feedback
-SDD JLR? keep seeing this for download here and there for free to install on windows computer. how does this work and what do you need? results?

I should be buying my first lr3 by the end of the week and i want to know what i'm getting into before i am all in.

·
Registered
292 Posts
$500 is not even expensive compared to the MVS2 tool that came out about 10-12 years ago for the LR3. I can't remember who made that but it required a laptop and was 4-digits in price.

The IIDTool is incredibly capable, and the value is there, for five hundred bucks. It will pay for itself umpteen times over. I can't really speak to the others, I haven't used them....but I feel like once every few weeks someone is posting on one of the forums about something they were trying to do with a iCARSOFT or Foxwell that left them helpless and wishing they had the IIDtool. Also, the customer service/support at GAP Diagnostics is excellent.

I swear I don't work for them!!! :)
It's just that that tool has saved my arse many times and they have been very fair with me both in terms of support and service when it came to upgrading my old IIDTool to the BT version and then adding my 2nd LR3 to the existing license. I endorse them 100%.

·
very disco
2,211 Posts
I own a foxwell nt elite. It was $179 via amazon next day and it’s worth its weight in gold.

I also own a nanocom EVO, and that thing is a godsend. I’ve never used a Hawkeye or GAP tool, but I hear they’re comparably useful (Hawkeye can’t program keys tho?)

with my nanocom, I can rewrite computer firmwares, read/write CCF, reset adaptations, program keys, code new computers to the vehicle... it’s pricey but it will pay for itself as time goes on

Reactions: HOUM_WA

·
very disco
2,211 Posts
I’ll also mention that the nanocom comes with access to two unfathomably useful tools:

genesis:
A seemingly endless online bank of firmwares for every ECU on your rover... and every revision to boot. You can enter your ECU model number and get a list of all firmwares, and even cross ref on fomoco parts.

creator supported forums:
The nanocom message board allows you to post queries and get answers from the makers of the tool themselves. Alexbbs has directly aided and abetted some of my tasks, most notably coding a used gauge cluster to my RRS.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I am just trying to understand why I may need to have recoding abilities. Usually i feel that the only thing One needs is code checking and code clearing. What in the hell could be so catastrophic for me to recode something, or is it always that chaotic with Land Rovers.what kind of things may need recoding in an lr3?

·
very disco
2,211 Posts
many of your computers are "synced" between themselves. replacing one breaks the entire system, unless that replacement computer is properly introduced.

also, you'll want to code a new key some day I'm sure of it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
many of your computers are "synced" between themselves. replacing one breaks the entire system, unless that replacement computer is properly introduced.

also, you'll want to code a new key some day I'm sure of it.
I see 👀...
So this by no means is a vehicle where swapping plug and play exists.
How many different computers are there?

if I rebuild my compressor by changing seals and drying element do I need a computer? To reset? or do I not need it because it is already paired with the car?
If I change and replace air shocks due to leaks do I need a computer? Not electronic though?

I replace a ride height sensor I probabaly will need it right?
Cause it’s electronic...

but what about engine work?
Like MAF or temp sensor?

where and when is it really needed?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Download a copy of Rave. You should be able to find it there.
WOW, that's cool..
I was looking for a workshop manual and asking the same questions to British Atlantic and they said there is no such thing as a workshop manual.
After learning about RAVE just now with you i am looking for an LR3 version. Apparently this thing is Range Rover only or am i wrong?

·
very disco
2,211 Posts
I have some service manuals for RRS. LR3 is nearly identical.

you will only need to code computers and electronics. Mechanical parts such as compressor, airbags, etc... those are obviously not coded.

replacing sensors may or may not require calibration, which is done with the nanocom or gap tool

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have some service manuals for RRS. LR3 is nearly identical.

you will only need to code computers and electronics. Mechanical parts such as compressor, airbags, etc... those are obviously not coded.

replacing sensors may or may not require calibration, which is done with the nanocom or gap tool
would you be so kind to share those with me, please?

·
very disco
2,211 Posts
Pm me your email

·
Registered
62 Posts
Found this workshop manual online. Looks pretty good. I loved the Rave when I owned a DII. Workshop Manual Land Rover LR3

Back to the topic at hand. I’m interested in buying a diagnostics tool. Currently I’ve got the airbag light on and a traction control fault that I need to diagnose. However I’m struggling to make a decision because I don’t know if I want to buy something specifically and only for the LR3... i.e. the IID tool. Or to buy something that works with my other vehicles. I’d be willing to spend the money on the IID tool. Then again I could spend that same money and a little less and purchase something that works with my other vehicles. Anyone have the same dilemma? I do want to use my LR3 for road trips, off road and towing a small camper.

·
Expert Crate Digger
367 Posts
IID (LR) > Nanocom (LR) > Foxwell NT-510/520/530 (you can pay to add more car manufacturers) > Hawkeye (LR but no longer supported) ... in that order.

·
very disco
2,211 Posts
I don’t think that the GAP is inherently better than the EVO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts