Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,971 Posts
I didn't like my Hella 4000's...
I went to Ring lamps- British made, not blingy, but great beam control and great prices.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,321 Posts
Steve, What didn't you like about your 4000s? Colin and I have pairs on 3 of our rovers and like them alot. Colin has a set of pencil beams on the RR(come to think of it, they're sitting on the den floor, hmmmm) and we both have the city light drivers on the XD and the 110.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,971 Posts
I have the 4K driving lamps w/city lamps on the bumper now- I had the 4K cornering and pencils on the roof. It's not that I'm saying they are BAD lamps- they are nice... but I can get as much light and a beam that I personally prefer out of a Ring lamp for much less $$. The 4K's on my bumper are going to be replaced soon with some Rings that are only 5" diameter but throw as much light without the overbearing size. I like to break convention though and I avoid the "fad" parts. Besides, a proper British vehicle shouldn't really be sporting German lamps now, should it? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,971 Posts
Geez- their web site sucks! We only carry two of their series of lamps, so I don't have a lot of info on anything other than the 6.5" and 9" offroad lamps. I also brought back a pair of 5" rallye lamps from the U.K. last time I was there for my MG- which I'm now going to flush mount in my bumper. They are quite common on rallye cars- also Cibie are popular over there. I can get Cibie Oscars and Super Oscars by special order- those are the "shiznit" of rallye cars... you'll see more of those than any other lamp. I don't get them for mine because they're french. :rolleyes:
Lemme see if I can find more info- if not, I'll pull some stats from the manuals at work and take some pics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,131 Posts
Muddy Oval said:
Geez- their web site sucks! We only carry two of their series of lamps, so I don't have a lot of info on anything other than the 6.5" and 9" offroad lamps. I also brought back a pair of 5" rallye lamps from the U.K. last time I was there for my MG- which I'm now going to flush mount in my bumper. They are quite common on rallye cars- also Cibie are popular over there. I can get Cibie Oscars and Super Oscars by special order- those are the "shiznit" of rallye cars... you'll see more of those than any other lamp. I don't get them for mine because they're french. :rolleyes:
Lemme see if I can find more info- if not, I'll pull some stats from the manuals at work and take some pics.
thanks, steve, i appreciate your efforts. :drink1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
Personally, I like the lightforce lights. They have an adjustable beam, They are very light. I haven't yet used them,but they are the ones I might go with when I get a roff rack. They are about $190-$330 per pair depending on size.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
2,986 Posts
You could also go with the Hella FF1000s, it's ~$85 for 2 of them, with the wiring harness included.. they are pretty bright and street legal still I believe. My one recommendation though, is if you go wheeling in deep water, make sure you seal them up pretty good.. mine are 1/2 filled with water right now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,971 Posts
The FF1000 is a great lamp... Best bang for the buck in an inexpensive lamp. I really don't understand why people get Hella 500's. They suck.
Lightforce are nice, but in cold climates the plastic may prove to be brittle when driving in subzero temps with wind chill added on.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
4,576 Posts
rmuller said:
You could also go with the Hella FF1000s, it's ~$85 for 2 of them, with the wiring harness included.. they are pretty bright and street legal still I believe. My one recommendation though, is if you go wheeling in deep water, make sure you seal them up pretty good.. mine are 1/2 filled with water right now
WHAT :eek: ???!!!...lol...If im not mistaken, arent the FF1000s the ones MADE to go like 3 feet underwater? Are you lookin for Atlantis???..lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
707 Posts
Muddy Oval said:
The FF1000 is a great lamp... Best bang for the buck in an inexpensive lamp. I really don't understand why people get Hella 500's. They suck.
Lightforce are nice, but in cold climates the plastic may prove to be brittle when driving in subzero temps with wind chill added on.
From what I Have read of Lightforce they are my #1 choice. I have a set on order and more to come to fill me new roof rack. As far as brittle they will take a .22 rifle round with no damage so I'd doubt that would be too much of a problem besides it has the actual lenses and the filter to get through. In fact I read some where that Most of the Baja 1000 competitors are switching to lightforce and that they have yet to break one, where as about a third of the hella's typically survive :rellye
 
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top