Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
210 Posts
what are you trying to do, look cool or be functional? what are you trying to accomplish with modifications?

1,855 Posts
I took my LR3 off road. All I did was put AT tires on it. The truck can tackle lots just as is (stock) if you have 18" rims you can put bigger tires. Mine has Nitto Terra Grapplers. They have been very good. I went places where Jeeps needed to be lifted, etc. Glad that all I need it was to just drive.
Dave

· Registered
2,065 Posts
On second thought, take a look under the truck at the spare wheel. If it that useless doughnut style then your first "upgrade" should be a full sized spare.

To their credit, older Land Rovers always has a full sized spare of the same type as the road wheels because they assumed that would be traveling on rough roads.

These days to their shame, they assume you won't be traveling off road at all so an embarrassing doughnut is what you get unless you pony up more $$$ for the HD package.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hahah I'm trying to accomplish a few things.

Ok I am an avid outdoorsman and work in the medical industry. I have reps 3/4 hours from home in which the lr3 will be driven until I can replace my work travel car with another 4 banger puddle jumper.

Anyway I travel to hunting, camping, shooting comps, and hiking spots. I travel some for work on black top. I like mods and tinkering and a ballsier look yet keeping the luxury of a rover. So those are first thoughts. It has 14k miles on it and was a driving academy car. It has a winch and that's all aftermarket it has.

· Registered
210 Posts
It doesn't sound like you really NEED anything to do what you want to do. If you enjoy the luxury then a good set of AT tires and the winch will be more than enough. If you just want it to look cool, you could do a Rod lift, bigger tires, roof rack, swing away full size spare carrier, etc. Personally I don't know why anyone would do all that for just looks, but to each his own.

· Registered
2,065 Posts
Agree with the above. If you plan to turn your 3 into a trail monster, you'll quickly discover that the aftermarket doesn't make bolt on stuff that extreme for this vehicle. Other than some protection and rods etc its a big deal to squeeze a set of 33" tyres on these things.

Stock to stock the 3 rules. Aftermarket enhanced to aftermarket enhanced......not so much.

So if this is the goal you've started with the wrong car!

· Land Rover Mechanic
15 Posts
Really spend the first bit of $ getting it to how a land rover tech (plenty of awesome guys on here) would have his personal truck.
-proper battery, installed correctly.
-proper fluids (oil as it looks dark, the rest every 30k, this is for inspection purposes)
-filters
-any plugs/relays/fuses/lights/anything screwy get to the bottom of before it bites you in the bottom in the middle of nowhere.
-5 matching quality tires (get full size spare wheel if needed) suited to your driving needs.
-get a good hitch set up

Start there and you should have a good feel for the truck and a better idea of what you need from her.
I would also caution having anyone do aux wiring or anything. The stock wiring can be interesting enough.

· Registered
43 Posts
Things that I've done:
Changed the grill to a more modern look. Lr4 grill off ebay. Dramatically changes the look and looks stock.
pirelli atr tires(and an ice and snow set for winter on separate rims)
Strong battery(maybe get the dual kit)
Debating upgrading my halogen lights to hid
tin foiled the hood latch sensor
gonna get ceramic pads soon the ones on their make a mess

· Registered
86 Posts
One of my best mods to my LR3

I made these for under $200. I think they are one of the best mods I've done, other than getting rock armor lift rods. I also changed all my oils, diffs, front bushings, led rear backup lights, added rear view camera, updated nav maps, added new front diff. breather tube, brake switch and a pillar water ingress fix and made an aluminum floor for my expo rack.

Attachments

· Registered
662 Posts
Good workmanship.

Those drawers look well constructed - good workmanship I would say.

Given that with the drawer system installed, should the rear hatch release fail, getting the rear hatch open would not be much fun. I wondered if you had installed an emergency release cable. I note that alot of the guys in Australia do that when they do a drawer system.

The link below is to a release mod that I created; others have done variations on it. I do not have the drawer system but regardless, getting the rear hatch open when the power latch has failed is a very Land Rover.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Liftgate release mod

I note that you have already done the front differential breather mod; spend twenty dollars and save thousands - that is a good value mod I would say. Below is the link I did up to when I did my breather mod.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Breather Cap Front Differential installation

· Registered
86 Posts
Thanks. New project..

Here's my next project I'm going to start this spring. I found the design on youtube. Its a offroad teardrop trailer for camping which I think is the perfect pairing with the LR3. I like this design because of the square body shape which matches the LR3 body style.

Attachments

· Registered
662 Posts
NATO logo?

That appears to be the NATO logo on the side.

The trailer is a good looking design. Building a trailer is actually a big job - lots of fiddling, welding, sheet metal, woodwork, electrical, plumbing, painting etc. I assume you will use LR3 wheels so your vehicle spare fits?

https://www.google.ca/#q=nato+logo

· Registered
86 Posts
I did not know that was a nato logo. Good catch. I plan on covering the trailer with aluminum and might put a compass logo on one side. I'll start my post as soon as I start. I'm currently looking for a trailer.

· Registered
662 Posts
13 page link re off road trailer construction

I think that you will find this 13 page link of great value. The trailer he builds here looks pretty close to what you have in mind. I see a window in lieu of the NATO logo.

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - new off road Sankey trailer

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.