Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade my tires on my discovery and was thinking of going with mud terrains. I know the BFGoodrich's are the correct tire for an XD but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Pro Comp tires. They look to be about the same tread pattern as the BFG's but they have little sipes in the center treads. I've heard procomp has a pretty good reputation. I haven't looked into the price of them yet. Anyone have any info? Thanks.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
I haven't seen too many people with Pro Comps, not that they are bad.
The big plus from the BFG's is that they have a real 3 ply side wall, good tread, fairly quiet and you can get lots of miles out of them, and easy 50K.
They are expensive, but worth it.
What size are you going to and do you have a D1 or DII?
Mike J.

· Registered
295 Posts
There's a bunch of reviews all over the place on the ProComps, and a lot of them are pretty favorable.

They seem pretty competitively priced and 4wheelparts has the buy three, get one free offer pretty often which usually coincides with one of their 10 or 20 percent off coupons.

Plus, I think they also have the "no questions asked" warranty, so I think if you wait you could probably get a really good deal.

I dunno, just my $.02:drink1:

· Registered
68 Posts
Pro comp have a good rep in the UK. But quite expensive. Most people use BFG mud's here but a good budget option is the colway mud terrrains. Same tread pattern 40% of the price. They are a remould. I have BFG's on my defender and colways on my disco and next time I need some more I'll definatly buy colways.

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major MT producers. I think the 4-Wheel Parts buy-3-get-1-free sale has ended on ProComps, but I could be wrong. The only negative thing I have heard about ProComp MTs is weak sidewalls,,,but then again I've heard this about every single MT out there at one time or another. It's a subject of great controversy and everyone has an asshole,,,oops,,I mean an opinion.

In addition to the PC and the BFG, look into the TrXus MT by Interco. I recently picked up a set in 34/12.50/16. IMO, the tread pattern is superior to the other radia MTs out there. It also has more siping than the pro-comp, which will help on wet or icey roads. While not the best pure rock-crawling tire, it's an excellent all-around trail tire. I am a huge fan of the GY MT/R, but only for specific terrain. It's not an MT (MT/R stands for "Maximum Traction/Reinforced,,,,not Mud Terrain) so it won't perform the way you want if you see a lot of mud,,,or wet rocks. On dry rock or slickrock, however, they are tough to beat.

Another option, if this is not your daily driver, is a bias-ply tire. The Interco LTB is an outstanding value and comes in LR-friendly sizes. Just know that the bias plies will wear much quicker than radials, especially under a heavy vehicle like a Rover.

· Banned
907 Posts
I think the word is out on a new BFG Mud coming out....even though it may be next January before we see it avaliable to the public. BUT, word on the street is, Interco is re-working the Trxus tire, too. Keep an eye out for that...

2,687 Posts
Right now, as an owner of trxus, I'd recommend BFG MTs. The trxus' are great in mud, rocks, sand, etc.. but have poor workmanship that cause them to unbalance and get ruined.

· Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have had pretty good luck with my BFG all terrains on my RRC and right now they have almost 60k miles on them with not too much wear. Right now my 97D1XD has a set of stock michelin 4x4's from an RRC, 205/80/16 and I think they are too small for a D1, especially with narrower axles than an RRC (but hey, they were 0-miles and free when I got them). I plan on modding my disco in the coming year so I think a set of mud terrains in about 265/75/16's would be what I'm after. I love my All terrains but as a trail tire they are somewhat lacking in wet terrain, which is mostly what I drive on here in New England. How are the MT's in snow? The all terrains are awesome in all but the slickest ice. What kinds of mods are needed for a D1 to clear the fenders with a three inch lift and 265/75/16's? My 245's fit it without any problems but they do rub in the rear at full flex with stock springs and sway bars installed. I'd prefer not to cut the fenders but a little tweaking to make them wider is not out of the question. I'm going to do some pricing but I am sorta leaning towards BFG's since I have had good luck with them in the past.

· Registered
347 Posts
I've been running Goodyear MTR's, now on 2nd set and happy. First set went about 45 k miles, I have about 26 k on this set and still lots of tread. I haven't used them in mud so I can't offer an opinion on that but they're good in Nevada desert and Sierras and fine on the street.

They got progressively noisier on my D2, but on the D1 it's not a problem. (Can't offer any hard proof but I suspicion there's enough difference in the front end of a D2 vs. a D1 as all the tires I ever had on the D2 cupped and got progressively noisier the D1 doesn't do this). Regarding noise level they're obviously noisier than street treads, but very liveable.

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
AAXDHow are the MT's in snow? The all terrains are awesome in all but the slickest ice. [/QUOTE said:
The BFG MTs are good in deep snow but on slush & ice you'll probably want to have the center lugs siped. All the feedback I've had from folks in CO who have siped their MTs (or MT/Rs) is that they noticed a huge difference on wet/icey roads when siped.

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
SCSL said:
The BFG MTs are good in deep snow but on slush & ice you'll probably want to have the center lugs siped. All the feedback I've had from folks in CO who have siped their MTs (or MT/Rs) is that they noticed a huge difference on wet/icey roads when siped.
I had people telling me conflicting information about having my center lugs siped.....so I didnt do it yet. There has been enough black ice this winter and can tell you that the M/Ts had a more difficult time finding traction on it then my molded and cut siped Toyo A/T Open Countrys.....but suprisingly, there wasnt a HUGE difference. With both I seemed to loose all the traction...heh...this goes the same for compacted snow...I couldnt tell too much of a difference. It is probably a bit late now, but perhaps my next set of M/Ts will be siped....I was worried about the lugs chunking (even the center ones) and still have that fear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.