Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I got a bunch of sound deadening (link) for my Kia to make it quieter on long trips and ordered way too much since I wanted to get free shipping and figured I could do my D2 as well, since it's quite loud on the highway.

That being said, where should I place it or the best effect?

I already have to drop the headliner for the 4th time to fix the sunroofs, which are leaking again, so I was thinking put some on the roof while it's apart to quiet down some wind noise.

Other than that, where should I put the rest of my sound deadening to make it more comfortable on the highway?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,697 Posts
I'd put it on the footwells/floors and central console under the carpet to reduce the powertrain noises

·
Bleeds Green
174 Posts
That being said, where should I place it or the best effect?
Rubber sound deadening works great on large panels to kill vibration and stop "booming". When I had my headliner down there were large sections of the roof without any sound deadening on them. If you're going to take it down, you might consider sticking some there. That being said, you'll rely on the sound deadening glue to hold it forever. If it fails, it'll fall and could sag / warp your headliner's card. If you really want to apply sound deadening to the roof there's a spray can you could shoot on it.

If you have a lot of wind noise you could try rejuvenating your door seals. My grandpa used to cut two little slits in them a distance apart and use a coat hanger to feed a thin rope / thick string through the inside of them to make them thicker so they sealed better. It's a bit of a hack job but it really did help.

·
very disco
2,974 Posts
It sounds like your head is in the right places for that material, but if you really want to make a difference, consider a premium grade tar undercoating. Not only does it protect against corrosion, but it has excellent acoustical deadening properties

·
Administrator
2,410 Posts
I have been using noico matting on our Defender builds and it works really well, doors floors and bulkhead . Have also used it on the inside of the engine cover (inboard engine) of my boat.
If I was going to add some to my D2 I would line the rear tail door

Reactions: V50_M66

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Noico is the stuff I got for my other car. Did it, it works great, but I have a bunch left over since I bought too much so I’m gonna put the rest in the Rover.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it installed on the whole roof when I had the headliner down to fix sunroof leaks and re glue areas that weren’t holding great on my headliner job (don’t use waterproof fabric!). Haven’t tested it yet but it should help a good bit.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Sky Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Ignore the insane mess. It’s back toclean and orderly now

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it installed on the whole roof when I had the headliner down to fix sunroof leaks and re glue areas that weren’t holding great on my headliner job (don’t use waterproof fabric!). Haven’t tested it yet but it should help a good bit.
View attachment 94367
Ignore the insane mess. It’s back toclean and orderly now
Confirmed, much less wind noise on the highway, which is quite nice. Definitely recommend

1 - 8 of 8 Posts