Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first, i would like to say hi to everybody in this forum :wave:
i have a 98 RR 4.6 and it started drinking gas like beer :beer:
my airaid air filter is on the way :D and am lookig for spark plugs and wires.
how about Denso Iridium IW16 plugs compare to Bosch Platinum +4 ?
i just wanna make sure that i get the best plugs if am gonna spend $70 plus shipping for Bosch plugs! cause speedycarparts.com has denso iridium for $13.62 a plug with free shipping! and regarding the wiers, all i know is that someone told me to get Magnacor wires? r they the best? :dunno:

thanks for ur input

·
Registered
93 LWB KITTED 95 LWB Chop Top 03 D2
213 Posts
Bosch Single Electrode $2.30 each

No matter how much you spend on plugs they are not going to make that much of a difference( IMHO). You certainly won't feel it in the seat of your pants dyno. Normally aspirated engines ( I.E. non turbo or supercharged )only gain good performance by changing the cams and improving the flow both in and out of the engine. Save your money and put some redline fluid in the diffs and transmission. You will probably feel more power that way than with any expensive spark plug REMEMBER THEY REQUIRE 8 OF THEM!! Thats $108.96.. for that price and magnecor wires $114.00 ( $222.96 all together ) you can get a set of plugs ( regular ones ) $18.40 ish a pannel K&N Filter $40.00 or RamFX filter from Ebay $22.00 ( thats what i put in ) 8 quarts of synthetic transmission fluid ($7.85 Qt. for AMSOIL Syn just for argument sake) $62.80 Transmission filter $30.00- $12.00, Synthetic Diff fluid $36.80. Fuel filter $12.00 . I get $164.00 ( if you buy everything right which is not that hard to do!) Plus you have just taken care of a bunch of regular maintenance items as well. I bet you anything the performance gains will be better .. My 2 cents! Your views may vary!

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
I was told not to spend the money on the expensive plugs.
Not worth it. They will still foul and have a limited life expectancy.
Spend a little more on your wires but my truck runs great on the average plugs and wires.
Champion Truck Plug 4404 and I paid 2.49 each for them. They work just fine they've been in there a year coming this December.

15.6 MPG on my last fill up. 1993 Range Rover LWB. 142,000 on the odometer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I used to run Bosch Plat plugs in my Camaro 350, and while they did not make any noticeable difference when driving, they did last a LOT longer than standard plugs, and I think they were like $4.50 each. That engine burnt a decent amount of oil, enough that regular plugs would foul in about 2 months. With the Bosch Plat I could go a year without fouling.

-Coach

·
Registered
489 Posts
I just bought a set of Bosch single-tip platinum plugs for the 95 4.0 SE RR, at $.99 cents apiece. No sales tax in NH, so under $8 for all 8. Truck runs great. I run Champion HD truck plugs (copper) in the Classic. I figure the 4.0 with its electronic distributorless ignition may need a slightly better plug. In my '95 E320 wagon, I put in 6 Bosch Platinum 4's, for like $55. The car is extremely smooth. The beauty of the Benz motor is that you take off a cover and the plugs are all there and they have their own coil pack right on top of the plug. It is also a sterile environment under the sealed cover so no dirt / oil contamination gets in like on a Rover. Change all 6 plugs in less than 30 minutes on the Benz.

·
got mud?
1,917 Posts
use copper plugs. and change often. or use some platinum's and change less often. I have iridium's and my discovery won't even start up right away. damn fancy plugs. I'm putting the copper plugs back in this weekend.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes Motul 15/60 synthetic oil for rally .I’ve been using it for 8 years now on my RR4.6 HSE and no complains ,just perfect keeps all parts perfectly clean and very soft running .I do recommend one thing ,if you do not use it on off road or ruff running just use your normal factory recommendation. It will cost you a lot less and run as well.
Pascal.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
use copper plugs. and change often. or use some platinum's and change less often. I have iridium's and my discovery won't even start up right away. damn fancy plugs. I'm putting the copper plugs back in this weekend.
Hmmm, I recall warning you about that some time ago. :)

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
I like how a totally unrelated question brings back to life a 5 year old debate...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts