Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello
i am new here.
i have searched a lot on this topic but did not find a definate answer if it exists

my RRC (on coils from factory) is on stock suspension but with 3cm spacers.
i would like to remove the spacers but retain the same look/stance.
i was thinking that if i replace with new springs and shocks that are of standard height not lifted could it be she will still look the same as regards height.
reason being i would be replacing tired/worn springs and shocks that would have settled in over the years with new fresh ones eventhough removing 3cm spacers.

my main priority is road comfort, that is one of the main reasons that i do not want to replace with a +2 suspension lift kit. apart from all the other modifications to retain castor and camber.
i drove a lifted defender with procomp suspension kit and the ride was very harsh.

i will not be using my rrc for offroading, just some greenlaning and i am sure she is capable in stock form.

what would you recommend for my use please?
just replace with new genuine springs and shocks or go for bilstein?
terrafirma also offer springs and socks in standard height, do you know how is the ride quality on these please?

thank you

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have the terra firma big bore shocks and they seem to be fine but I do more off-road then on-road they are a little stiff and I will probably go for OME or Bilsteins at some point. I am using OME springs for my lift which is around 2". What year is yours? If I wanted a slightly taller stance but retain the stock suspension characteristics (and I was sure I wouldn’t want to go taller later!) then I think I would go with the Bilsteins and replacement rover springs that gave you about 1" of lift and/or keep stock springs w/spacers (no more than 1"). I did just complete a 1" body lift and it was pretty easy but I would opt for replacement springs option before that.
I am trying to remember now but I think that expedition exchange had a list of springs and their free lengths and spring rates or maybe that was a post by p76 on here? I would sort through there and/or OME's catalog to find the right combo to get your desired lift. p76 has done quite a bit of research on rover springs and hopefully he can chime in here.

·
1993 RRC-ville
30 Posts
consider manual Air suspension ? ? ?

Have you considered switching from coil to air springs with 2 feet of 6MM line and schrader valves on the end for each corner so you can adjust at any gas station or with a 12V / bike pump? just air up to level each fender opening to the same height. this way you have LUX ride on road, pump up to 4-5" lift for the trail, then air down to factory for garage, -2 lower for long highway trips for better handling and gas mileage. The lowering on the highway gave the air suspension LWB 1-2 MPG better than the lighter SWB with springs and it is real -- I have one. I think air suspensions are way better. Just run some billsteens and it's fast to swap them in once you have the hardware in place. They are made in Merrit Island, FL and about a grand for everything. You would have a VERY unique ride and all I can say is the ride would be ultra-comfort and not harsh at all. if you want to get fancy you could install onboard 160psi AC and run the lines to a junction block you can access inside the truck.

Just keep extra 6mm line in the truck (1.39 a foot online.. but hard to find at auto stores).

I wish I had done this on my SWB 93 way back. Spent $400 on +2 springs and over 5 years they settled down 3/4" and it took longer than installing air springs (no spring compressors required). The ride isn't harsh though if you go with the DAP +2 spring kit.

·
1993 RRC-ville
30 Posts
go with billsteens FOR SURE. they are wonderful on and offroad -- and they fully guarantee their product. it's worth every cent.

·
1993 RRC-ville
30 Posts
Get the DAP inc. +2 lift and a set of +1 billsteens with std-road valving. I've got both for sale used -- see my parting-out post. save some $$ with the used ones OR buy new. It's a great ride either way...

don't go over 3" or you will affect the steering and components. Honestly, you will find your steering components will show wear more quickly when raising it up. I boosted up mine and it stressed the steering box and tie rods ===> replaced all within the next 20K, which was when it was due anyhow. I really like DAP for suspension parts -- they did me right.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
No, you will not have the same stance with new stock springs if you take out the spacers. If you go for an aftermarket spring that provides any amount of lift you will no longer have the stock ride quality you are looking for.
You can get (or could get) longer genuine Land Rover spring sets that had similar load ratings but this is hard to get right without a lot of trial and error that mostly have to do with your own specific variables.

Good news is Land Rover did all the hard work for you and set up the vehicle for exactly the conditions you are describing. So just fit stock springs and dampers and forget the lift for looks, you don't need it and it compromises the vehicle.

That's my 2c.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok agreed, i was almost convinced to go for the terrafirma. but i know you are right!
are armstrong shocks good?
i have only found these readily available and are cheaper than the oem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts