Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas? I know one of the guys from this forum did it. I am just too lazy to search for it. I'd like to paint mine black. Don't care if it looks pretty, just don't want it to look half-ass. Any ideas?

·
Registered
734 Posts
roverX said:
LOL, we're talking about rims here! But seriously, my whole truck is black, thought the black rims would look cool.
They would, I like the way they look on a black truck. Spray paint, that way it's not.. :mad: .. :complain: .. :eek: when you chip off the expensive powder coating.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I think the difficult part will be doing it without the paint running off the smoothness of the alloys. Might have to sand them a bit first.

·
Registered
363 Posts
My $.02

I would wipe the rims off with a good paint thinner. That will take off grease, oil and brake dust. Then spray them with some good poly black. Then spray them with some clear coat. that sould last a few weeks. I would not scuff sand the rims you will marr origanal powder coat. Or if you want to spend some cash. then I would get them powder coat to black. That will last the longest and look the best and will add value when you sell the truck

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yeah I powder coated mine and I love them, but I say spray paint them if you have the will.

That spray paint should look great for a couple days, then you can spray paint them again.

Then again, a few weeks later.

It could be your new hobby. :wave:

·
Registered
590 Posts
350 out the door.
That includes the spare.

There were like 50 colors I could have chose from, but I just wanted shiney black.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Been thinking about yellow. Might look kinda cool. Get the springs and other accessories yellow too. No. Maybe I've had too much beer tonight...

·
Registered
444 Posts
yeah that may have been the beer talking.... I have thought about the black powder coating thing myself, just not sure about that yet...Sharky is there a pick of yours here???? (i'm too lazy to go search for that)

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just paint 'em

I cut out a semicircle of cardboard, covered all the lugs with tape, put the semicircle template along the top to cover the tire up then painted. Switched the template to cover the bottom half of the tire then painted. That was in September 05 it is now Jan 06.
I didn't sand, clear coat, or powder coat and I haven't even had to make painting my hobby or even touch it up.
Must be becasue I bought the $1.24 can of rustoleum wal-mart brand black spray paint.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.