Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

· Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys, as is, I have a two inch lift via spacers. I took the easy (maybe not the best) approach.

I am looking at those Big Blue HD Springs. Pretty good deal on DAP. I like the idea of 3" lift over the two I have. Although with sag of my original springs I should see a good difference in what my 2" looks like now and 3" HD springs.

Also, I see those ProComp 9000 shocks with added 2"travel. For four the price is pretty damn cheap. Maybe they wont last as long as OME but for the cost I dont mind changing early if that proves to be the case.

Sadly, the old girl has nearly turned into a daily driver until hunting season. I still have to handle the off road life on the ranch but nothing like rock climbing or having real fun. Simply breaks my heart. I look at this as a temporary problem only.

I guess my question is... do I "Have" to make any other mods with 3" lifts right away?

Thanks guys. I know there might be better set ups but if this is not terrible I am very pleased with the cost for what I use the truck for... now.

· Banned
907 Posts
Do you have a Rotoflex?
You'll need extended front brake lines. The rears should be fine if you use those shocks and stock shock mounts.
The truck will be "driveable", but it wont be right. You may/may not get a vibe from the front diff without adding a TrueTrack diff, castor corrected front links, or have the castor correction done by RTE. You also really need an adjustable panhard rod for things to be right, as well.
I would not give you a nickel for those shocks, but that's up to you. I would not buy them springs either, but again, that's your call.

· Premium Member
1,144 Posts
you might need to get aftermarket trailing arms with the 3" lift. it will correct the rear drive shaft angle and eliminate a vibe if you have one. you probably will. the day after i installed my 3" lift i took it wheeling and i tore through a rotoflex donut in under one day and got a massive vibration. when i got the new trailing arms, the that massive vibration went away and donut didnt look like it was bending at all.

· Registered
1,971 Posts
The 2" lift is much easier on the truck. As for the shocks, the only one to come back with a problem is one that some guy broke because his beat old truck was bent, causing an obvious side load on the shock. Don't let the price fool you, the ES9000 is a nice shock. I went to them from OME's and never looked back- OME's are a rip.

· as good as it gets
331 Posts
Hey TexasRover,

There are serveral of us Rover Heads in the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex. We will all be going out to Barnwell Mountian in Glimer, TX to camp and do a little wheeling on Jan 28th...we will do moderate trails for the stock trucks and more advanced for the ones who are built for a challenge.

It is all for my site members from MyRover.net and in cordination we will be using the Texas Rovers Official Camp site out at Barnwell. Which I am also a member of the Texas Rovers Club at http://www.texasrovers.org.

If you look at one of my local site members Moses truck and mine are both running OME 3" lifts with the Bilstien shocks...because frankly OME shocks sucks.

The big blue springs you are looking at are great as well and just as good if not better than the OME springs.

You should get together with Moses and I, take a look at our trucks. We just finished putting front and back lockers in his truck the other night out at his shop in Mckinney.

Here is a link to a couple pictures we took with his rack on my truck after we finished the front truetrack locker install. You are more than welcome to tag along with us for the Rover event on the 28th again we will head out Saturday and camp that night and then head home on Sunday...it is about 90 miles from Dallas.

http://www.myrover.net/forums/viewthread.php?tid=613#pid4983

· as good as it gets
331 Posts
I also forgot to say we are having a shop day tomorrow out at Moses where we will be working on my truck and fabbing up some new rock sliders for my rig. DallasRover from the board here is going to try to make it as well.

Also going to be welding my Trek Outfitters back bumper that I broke in half and a few other things...along with finally trimming my front bumper since I mangled it all. You are welcome as well TexasRover.

· Registered
128 Posts
2" lift was a walk in the part. 3" RTE was when it all fell apart. The OME springs rode pretty well, and no drastic reduction in driveability was noticed. At 3", the truck became an undriveable turd. The front shaft hit the swaybar, so off it went. The rear sway bar links would flip upside down, so off it went. I replaced the front shaft with one from an '04 D2, quenched the majority of the front vibration. Rotoflex wasn't going to work out, went with a 2-joint shaft. Picked up a nasty rattle on coast from the rear. Spaced the trailing links rearward with some aluminum plates, but you could easily do the same thing by adding washers to the end of the arm before it goes into the forward mount. That was easy. And cheap.
I'll end up with the RTE 5" lift eventually, so I'm not spending any dough fixing supsension at the moment. Daily driver is gone. It goes great in the woods, but is unsafe on the street. You will have to get your driveshafts in order, your pinion angles corrected, your castor restored. Swaybars aren't going to work out, either. Sure, there's disconnects, and you can spacer the mounts down. The whole idea in going up is clearance. Spacering a sway bar mount down 4" to clear is quite counter-productive in my eyes.

As I said, 2" is easy. The rest is work.

· as good as it gets
331 Posts
Yeah I agree with allot of what frick says. My truck has both back and rear drive shaft replacements and serveral other things to get it to a 5" spring someday, but I will say my truck runs right down the road like a dream at 55mph to 75mph. I also have rode is Moses 1999 D1 and his rides and drives like a dream as well.

I did have a HUGE shimmy on the front of my truck between 60-65mph, which I found out was just losing the balacing weights off of a front wheel.

· Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Discrover,

I know I wont be able to make it tomorrow but shop day sounds like something I have to check out.

Would be nice seeing some of the mods I want actually already installed.

Hopefully, I can get these springs and shocks taken care of pretty soon and make the next weekend outing.

· as good as it gets
331 Posts
texasrover said:
Discrover,

I know I wont be able to make it tomorrow but shop day sounds like something I have to check out.

Would be nice seeing some of the mods I want actually already installed.

Hopefully, I can get these springs and shocks taken care of pretty soon and make the next weekend outing.
Well if your going to install them yourself let us know...we can set up a time to help you get them installed. The only catch is I take pictures and you have to provide a write up for our tech section. It is a VERY easy job..just a little time consuming, but we suggest if you don't already to start learning to turn a wrench on your truck. Again, if you want some support in installation just let us know...and hopefully we will meet you on the 28th.

· Banned
907 Posts
Man, this thread is full if bull ****. Big Blue better than OME Springs; OME Shocks are junk; a Disco lifted 3" is no longer safe on the street..... :dunno:

You know, shocks are NOT rocket science. It's not real hard to debate what shock is better. But, to call a OME shock junk???? LOL Take a look...I've done the 2-minutes worth of work for you OME more OME VS. Procomp Your getting what you pay for. And Steve, if your selling any amount of these shocks, your just putting yourself out there for complaints. These shocks don't last; been there, done that. If you want to be known for selling junk, that's up to you. Sure, the shocks work, but they don't last. IMO, their too soft for the heavy ass Rover, anyway.

And, "The big blue springs you are looking at are great as well and just as good if not better than the OME springs"???? LMAO!! You just keep telling yourself that. What do you base that comment on, anyway?

A truck lifted 3" is "Unsafe"??? Why, because you removed the sway bars? If you half ass it...maybe. But, if you do it right the first time, and use quality parts, I don't see how you can say it's "unsafe".

FWIW, I don't run either OME Shocks or springs. I have in the past, but they just don't fit my current wants......

· as good as it gets
331 Posts
Well Hank you know the old saying about opinions I am sure...you are again just weighing in with an opinion. Doesn't make yours right or ours wrong vice-versa. Shocks allot of times come down to preference and that is about it.

I personally like the ride and feel of the Belstiens better than the OME...and I have had my Discovery longer and put more miles on it and had more sets of shocks and springs on it that went the distance again probably more than 75-80% of the people on this board who drive a Disco.

Everything I put out there comes from trial and error.

I still have the OME springs as well and use to have a truck that set all ****-eyed or crooked. I finally got that all ironed out and it was the springs. My next set of springs will be RTE and I will never buy another set of OME anything, but again that is just me and MHO.

I also don't like Pro-Comp Shocks....I have had a couple of GM trucks...one 2-dr Tahoe with 3 inch lift and a 4 door Yukon with a 3 inch susupension lift. Both were Rancho...I never use Pro-Comp and don't think that high of Pro-Comp but again that is purely my opinion.

· as good as it gets
331 Posts
And, "The big blue springs you are looking at are great as well and just as good if not better than the OME springs"???? LMAO!! You just keep telling yourself that. What do you base that comment on, anyway?

I base that one talking to LOTS of people and seeing trucks running the 3" and the 5" Big Blue Springs and knowing my truck with OME springs first time they were installed my truck leaned like the Leaning Tower of Piazza. I called back the retailer only to be told...yeah OME springs do that allot of times. Did you install them in the correct order....I said yes I did.....the story goes WAY on but I will leave it at that and just say it took a whole other set of 4 springs to get the problem corrected which it is now.

My next springs will be RTE or Big Blue

· Banned
907 Posts
No, it's really not opinion based. It's just the facts of the materials used, the load ratings, finish, etc....

I too installed a OME lift on a 97 land Cruiser...Got done, and the damn thing looked lop-sided. Took a closer look, and I had the PS spring on the DR side....Stupid. But, with Rovers, you can get matched or un-matched...it's up to you.

Big Blue has been around for a long time....there is a reason OME and RTE out sells them. Big time.

I'm with you, though. RTE's and 10" 7100's.

· as good as it gets
331 Posts
Well in my case I had them all in the right order and it was a problem with the manufacture marking them wrong. That little mistake in marking probably doesn't mean **** or shynolia to them, but it caused a LOT of waisted time on my part and by the time my truck wasn't leaning any longer I was pissed.

I do still use the OME steering stabilizer though and just got a new one of those after breaking one in half. Ordered from North West Parts.

· Registered
1,971 Posts
Hank- since you are the expert here then. Who makes OME's springs, shocks and stabilisers? What factory- no wait, factories I mean? I know... do you? Does RTE wind their own coils? If not, then who... I know. Where are big blues made?
Having dealt with OME (and discontinuing doing so), I don't think they are a good value. I think your statement about who sells the most springs is false too, unless you're talking USA only... then you're still wrong, just not as much.
I run some OME stuff on my own truck- and it's being replaced by stuff I'm designing to be btter, and a better value. The only reason OME is still around is people who buy based on brand name. RTE is solid stuff, but a different type of wind and rate than Blues... so they offer a good alternative to BB's for those looking for progressive winds and higher rates. BB's are linear and softer. Works out beautifully, giving a quality choice for either preference.
The only ProComp that came back under (lifetime) warranty so far was side-loaded and broken. That's not even covered, as it's abuse from being installed on a bent truck, but they were still replaced free of charge.

· Registered
5,468 Posts
Alright you bastards. I am replacing my worn out OME's with Big Blues this year. I push my truck to the limits offroad most of the time so I will report back on which springs were better. There. :complain:

· Registered
1,971 Posts
Just make sure you get the HD's. The MD's are the most popular, but running the HD's is necessary if you load the truck down heavy "expedition style"

· Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Discrover said:
Well if your going to install them yourself let us know...we can set up a time to help you get them installed. The only catch is I take pictures and you have to provide a write up for our tech section. It is a VERY easy job..just a little time consuming, but we suggest if you don't already to start learning to turn a wrench on your truck. Again, if you want some support in installation just let us know...and hopefully we will meet you on the 28th.

Installing those should not be any problem, been through the dismantle/install of those springs and spacers once before.

Now, if you guys are still around when I tackle the fuel injectors pretty soon... I calling ya! LOL

I dont have a problems taking things apart and putting them back together again... it just that getting started part!

· Registered
5,468 Posts
Muddy Oval said:
Just make sure you get the HD's. The MD's are the most popular, but running the HD's is necessary if you load the truck down heavy "expedition style"

I'll be calling you when I get them to make sure I get the right ones to meet my needs.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.