Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy it's been quiet on here lately.
Everyone Hibernating I guess;)

I have done lots of things in a vehicle that made me think or say " oh man I should not have done that"

I will pick one of the many to share.

In my younger years I was with the Ski Patrol and spent lots of time on backwoods roads in the middle of winter.
Heard some of my buddies teasing one guy about getting his little Suburu stuck on one particular back road. He supposedly got it stuck real good. I vaguely recalled the road and was prett sure I had been up it in the summer.
A couple days later at the end of my ski day I decided to drive that way and take a look where he got stuck.
I found that road and turned onto it. I was alone driving my newly acquired 1992 GMC 1/2 ton 4x4 pickup. my first 4wheel drive vehicle!
it was dusk and there was about 4 feet of accumulated snow on the ground.
First couple hundred yards of winding narrow lane way (not even really a road) has numerous offshoots to cabins and cottages and was reasonably plowed.
As I continued conditions became worse and buildings were less common but I kept going.
Went a little further, road became narrower, steeper and was obviously less travelled. I though to myself "better back up".
Empty pickup with street tires, no weight in the bed and inexperienced driver. Every time I tried to back up it would slide to the ditch!
Well that wasn't working so I decided to continue up until I got to the next laneway and turn around there.
Up I went! Hey I have a 4WD!!!!!!
But no lane ways, no wide bends no cabins NOTHING BUT SNOW! TREES AND WINDING INCLINE!!
Too dumb to turn back now:)
Maybe there will be a turnaround past the next bend????
Around the next bend I get an OOOOOOHH CRAP surprise. Single lane, roughly 30degree incline!!!!
Backing up didn't work, stopping didn't seem like a wise thing so I give it all I can!
Made it about 40 yard before it sunk , about a foot up the doors, both sides.

Tried for about an hour to get her unstuck, backed up, turned around before giving up.
Pulled out my Motorola Flip Phone and called the same bunch of guys from the beginning of my story to bail me out, dig me out.

Turns out it is not a road in winter that far up the valley - a groomed Snowmobile trail!!!

5 of us finally were able to rock, wiggle, dig it 180 degrees and with my tail between my legs head back down.

I have since lost touch with that bunch of guys but am sure if I ever run into any of them again they will immediately remind me of that day.

So what is the dumbest thing you have ever done in a vehicle????

Reactions: Major381

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
So what is the dumbest thing you have ever done in a vehicle????
Driving one of these at over 50mph on a main dual lane winding road with cars coming the opposite direction.
They are stick steer locking up one track or the other. When going around bends you cannot simply hold one stick as it may overheat the brake causing it to suddenly turn. You have to pump the lever.
The instructor was in the turret telling me to go faster and I was shitting myself. All I could think of was making a mistake and running over some family in a car coming the opposite direction.

Attachments

·
Disco Dude
15 Posts
Well Redtruck This isn't really a "Dumbest thing" reply but rather a Land Rover Disco testimonial. On my way home this current winter a considerate, skilled (NOT!) Michigan driver coming off a side road in his little front wheel drive car apparently hit the gas instead of the brake at the stop sign and came straight out in front of me. His wheels weren't spinning but they were turned and he was still headed on a collision course with my brush guard. Somehow and for a reason only he knows, God intervened and had me pull the parking brake and crank my wheel hard left. I think if there would have been a piece of paper on my front end I would have hit this joker. Well I spun a full 360 and then another 180 ending up with my front end on the downward side of a 4 foot ditch that was full of snowplow snow. Now, I bought my Disco because I got an awesome deal on it. Truth be told I don't recall ever even seeing a Land Rover live and it is my only vehicle. Being that I am a single dad raising 2 little girls alone I had no intention of taking it off road until I at least had something else to drive but here I was head first partially in this ditch. Apparently I was teetering enough that my rear tires couldn't get traction so backing out wasn't an option. I figured If I was going to need a tow truck whats the difference if he towed me from where I was or in this ditch and decided to put it in low and drive forward into this 4 foot deep half pipe full of fresh Michigan snow. What happened totally impressed me and proved it's not all hype on what these things will do because i went down into the ditch turned hard left and continued to drive another 30-40 yards sometimes with snow coming over the hood and my disco didn't even grunt. I figUred as long as I was here and putting my truck through its paces I decided to drive up the side of the 4 foot half pipe to try and get out. Again without as much as a fast engine rev my disco walked right up and out of that ditch. Now I've had lots of 4x4 vehicles over the years and have driven them in places I sometimes shouldn't have (really shouldn't have) but nothing like the obstacle my 2000 disco just tackled like it was just crossing the street. I only wish someone would have filmed it. I would have asked the mentally challenged gentleman that started the whole mess but I must have looked fine to him because after causing me to be in that ditch and not driving through the middle of his little bitty car, he apparently just continued on his way. Maybe he had some previous Land Rover experience and knew I was in zero trouble eh?!

·
wjsj69
124 Posts
Had a '79 F150 stepside, lifted, 35's.. thought I could go anywhere; WRONG, JUNIOR! Drove out into a dry part of the Delaware River at low tide. Of course got stuck. Then the tide came in. Sat there waiting for a tow, until the water was in the cab over the pedals. Paid too much to get winched out (deserved it), got it running enough to get home, smoking all the way. Had to flush and fill the whole drive train from all the water ingress, but learned a lot, and the truck kept running for years! Young and dumb!!

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
If we are talking about getting stuck. In an old series land rover. In the middle of nowhere. Several hours from the nearest house or town. Stuck at the bottom of a gully. Found out the fuel pump had backed up. Out by ourselves in the one vehicle. No phone or radio contact with anyone. Manufactured a new valve for the fuel pump out of the plastic end on a seatbelt. Got it pumping fuel again (except steep uphills) and drove the 5 hours back home.
Don't go out into remote areas without a second vehicle.

·
Banned
1,498 Posts
Driving on the beach in Manhattan Beach Los Angeles at night with my lights off - and getting stuck in the sand with stock tires.

It's illegal. Large Fine. Tow. Not to mention the tide was coming in.

I got a tow-truck out there and his long winch line barley reached the car. He said if it did not reach he could not drive a few extra feet on the beach because it was illegal and that he was pushing it just by being on the strand (a bike, jogging path) and getting me out because a cop should have shown up by now. The problem is .. in LA county when the Cops tow your car the costs to get it out are absurd. They sell the cars and pocket the money.

Los Angeles/CA is really becoming a police state. They are issuing tickets for anything and everything even issuing tickets to people for driving in CA - without a CA drivers license/Tag. The ticket bail you get in the mail is huge... for a $20 ticket they send you a $400 bail amount. Forcing you to pay or go to court. If you don't pay they issue an arrest warrant. What I'm saying is you can be from Nevada or Oregon or New Mexico and just driving in CA for the day - and the cops will pull you over and ticket you and ASSUME you have been in CA more than 10 days by default. Here is an example:

https://dailydrivenexotics.com/video/youtube-exclusive-beverly-hills-police-use-unlawful-intimidation-tactics-on-lamborghini-owner/sGEvcfIjuouF2oOoyNZzWw3yLSJt91ardXLebxftrZS0xYAdX5nAmFjbILOhgeezyJQhB18sC6miDV1ZLjGFhFvc94cc85WxOcy8eaa3G9tqJI65v5vA3ZYVS7RhjiHE3C4n28BEbOlIM0w9vhFXKO?videoId=3dqeZq1wJ6k

This was for a Canada DR but they will do the same for any out of state DR. It's a mafia racket.

·
1,818 Posts
Driving a 1990 Jeep Cherokee (not a the grand) the only thing good about it was the in line V6. I purchased it as a surf car for the beach in PR. The radiator leaked, the electrical system drained the battery all the time and it left me stranded twice. The AC stoped working on a 95F day. It also could not make it to many off road places. It became a chicken coup at the end.
Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts