Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, Im almost sure ive busted a shock or two.......those that were with me on the trail last week know my disco had a pretty loud banging sound coming from it. Well...we checked, and none were loose. I tried to check the shocks yesterday to find out that the lug nuts are all messed up; probably from the place that put my tires on.

I am buying new lugs for cheap and will have to get those off that are completely messed up (were talking nearly round). Any suggestions?

To the point....I want to get Bilstein 7100's assuming they fit in the stock shock mount locations. I would prefer bilstein's over Fox shocks.

Ive found a site that someone suggested on pirate4x4; its www.eshocks.com.

I have a 01" D2..I believe I need 360/80 valving, but im not sure. Can anyone confirm this or suggest any other places to buy them....or if they will fit in the stock shock mounts, etc.?

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
I wish I had the $$$...Those are great shocks, my buddy runs them on his jeep...they do wonders for flex!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have those in conjunction with my 3" rte kit. Don't think you would get them to fit stock but I'm guessing here. For the info you want, call Steve at rte. He's great on the phone and should be able to answer any questions.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its not stock...ive got OME 3" lift. I actually was able to bust an OME shock/s (will see if there is two). Probably doing what is in my avatar.

Does RTE sell the bilstein 7100 shocks?...I dont think its on thier site.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice! didnt see that..

# Bilstein 7100 series shocks $720.00
# RTE springs $295.00
# Front shock towers $96.00
# Front lower shock mounts $35.00
# Rear shock mounts $155.00
# Rear spring retainers $35.00
# Brake lines $22.00 each

ill just do everything minus the springs I guess...

do I have to extend ABS lines too?

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
actually.....I might just get the whole kit......it depends on how much money it would save me to or not to get the springs. If the package deal makes them much cheaper ($125 for 4 its looking like) then ill just go RTE.. Otherwise ill have perhaps a first if not irregular OME springs mix with Bilstein shocks.

3" Lift with Bilstein 7100 Series Shocks (For RRC, D90, D1 and DII)
# Bilstein 7100 series shocks $720.00
# RTE springs $295.00
# Front shock towers $96.00
# Front lower shock mounts $35.00
# Rear shock mounts $155.00
# Rear spring retainers $35.00
# Brake lines $22.00 each

DII lifts include:
# ABS Extensions $75
# Crossmember Spacers $25
# Bilstein Reducer Bushings $36

Kit Price for DII - $1225

so guys...should I go for it?

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sent them an e-mail....ill see. Perhaps they can put a package deal together for me without the springs, but with everything else....so then I could get the springs later if I wished.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
keptin said:
so guys...should I go for it?

I say yes if you have the $$$$ !! I also say you should buy some dislocate cones and swaybar disconnects

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dislocation cones....hmm....ive heard mixed things about them. Sure...more flex, but I was reading a post where the guy almost flipped because of his dislocation cones not putting his rover flat again.....something like that; it was on dweb. I will have to get either cones, or if I can get spring retainers for the top I might do that.

As for disconnects; I want some slickrock ones for the front, but Im probably going to end up making discos out of the front and rear stock ones.

I dont have the money yet....My friend that is going to make skid plates and sliders with me cant do it till late winter, early spring anyway so I was planning on getting an RTE bar for a combined gift from the hollidays and birthday plus cash from me, but this came up. Since I couldnt get a winch till summer, the bumper would be purely for looks. Getting the shocks and stuff would improve the articulation.....and its something that has to be done.

If its cheap enough I might just get the whole DII kit with the RTE springs.....though I am hoping that the guys at RTE can give me a deal on a shocks-only + accessories package. If I have any money left over, its going into accessories for the rover.

I spent $40 on a Firestik II CB antenna so I didnt get the hitch reciever and shackle ($25)....which would be a nice accessory. Im going to try to get the place the f*(&ed up my lugs to replace them or the most damaged ones.....hopefully I wont have to pay for that. Also, id like to get a high quality recovery strap. Ive got a crappy tow strap and its pretty short.....ive been looking at the EE strap for $55; its a bit more expensive then others but nicer then many ive seen for the price. Superwinch=$47, but no cordura sleeves. ARB=$58, but more $$$. Then there are always more stuff you can get....like a tow chains set and stuff.....etc.

Right now its looking like:

Winter:
Bilstein 7100's and parts/RTE 3" kit & sell remaining OME parts
Cobra CB and Firestik II antenna
Reciever and Shackle
EE Recovery Strap

Spring-Late Spring:
Custom Rock Sliders
Custom Gas Tank Skid
Custom Underbody Plate (cat protection, exhaust protection-mine is underneath...it was relocated.)

Early-Summer:
QT Diff Plates/Skids

Mid-Summer-Late-Summer:
RTE Full Bar
RTE Steering Plate/Skid
Superwinch EP9.0
Optima D31M Blue Top Battery
Front SR Dan/Sumo Bar
MV50 Compressor
Staun Med Tire Deflators

Fall:
Hella 4000's- 2 Cornering, 1 Euro
4x Hella rubber spotting lamps

Winter:
Safarigard Rear Bumper

= approx. $6500 w/ $500 of shipping added.

Unrealistic...probably; wishful thinking...a definate YES!; would be kick ass...ooh yeah.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
keptin said:
Unrealistic...probably; wishful thinking...a definate YES!; would be kick ass...ooh yeah.

I hear ya...... I have the pro comp tow strap..It is great! 4-wheel parts has it..I have ahd it about 3 years now

·
Registered
187 Posts
Josh, you can also save 96 bucks by keeping your shock towers and modifying them. Thats what they sell are DII shock towers with a 2"x3" or so cut from the top to allow the resivoir to pass through. Or, get the kit and sell off what you don't use.

·
Magicly Delicious
1,030 Posts
im pretty sure i saw ProComp straps at Sears a while back. i think they were somewhere around $30-$50

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Monty said:
Josh, you can also save 96 bucks by keeping your shock towers and modifying them. Thats what they sell are DII shock towers with a 2"x3" or so cut from the top to allow the resivoir to pass through. Or, get the kit and sell off what you don't use.

thanks for the advice....if its not to complicated then I will do that instead. I will definatly sell off any remaining OME parts....so unfortunate that I want this...assuming I have busted OME shocks... only a year after getting an OME lift. I am still thinking about keeping the OME springs and just getting the stuff to do the shocks if they will give me a deal....any thoughts on this?

Also, thanks bene....ill look into more brands as I get closer to buying one.

·
Magicly Delicious
1,030 Posts
also on tow straps, my dad mentioned last night about looking at trucking and farm/construction supply places. sounded like a good idea to me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.