Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my 5 new BFG AT's in 265/75/16 and am thinking about mounting them on some black steelies rather than powdercoat my alloys java black like my Disco, as I had originally planned to do.

I've been searching for a new set of black steel rims for my 03 DII over the last couple of days and have only found those 16"x7" silver OEM ones for a whopping $609.95 on Atlantic British. I think these are out of the question soley due to the ridiculous monetary expenditure I'd have to make...

The next closest rims to the stock steelies I've found are 16"x8", 5x120mm, 4.75" backspacing, for $76.99 each at 4wheelparts.com.

My questions:

Is the 1.25" lack of backspacing going to cause me issues with the tires rubbing?

Does anyone know of any cheaper black steelies for sale out there? Keep in mind, I want to stay as close to stock dimensions as possible.

In your opinions, should I just do the powdercoating since it'll be cheaper than $76.99 a wheel to just get my alloys powdercoated?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Rather than spending alot of time and energy checking out who has the best price on steel wheels, and if they have a close-to-correct inside offset (necessary for any LR with disc brakes), just ask the supplier if they are real Wolf rims (proper designation of the steel rim originally made by Dunlop for the MOD) They are generally in the $75-$85 range from RN, and RDS. A Wolf rim is twice as thick (6.5mm) as old style series rims, will deflect and return to shape from severe sidewall bashing, which an alloy won't. At twice the weight, poseurs can go with fakes if just cruising the Wal Mart parking lot. I am not sure if Dunlop even makes the rims anymore, but there is a Brazilian Co. making them under license, and I got a set a couple of years ago from RDS. (he finally got electricity back after 3 months but is still waiting for his phone/internet connection). They are black powder coated.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
01001010 said:
Actually man, the black NATOS are on sale for 329.95 for a set of 4....this is through AB. The sale will end 12/31 at midnight so check that out quick...

Direct Link...
A friend of mine bought those exact rims and had 265/75/16's mounted on them and has been losing air ever since. Additionally, people at a local indy shop told me those particular rims aren't NATO's and are not strong enough to take off-road abuse, especially from a heavy Rover.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Silver Streak said:
Gulf Coast Rovers. They have been around for awhile. It's where we get all our black steelies and lugs, 15's, 16's with offset or not. They usually run about $60 or $70 a peice. Fast shipping too!
I saw those as well, but they only have 4.25" of backspacing. The ones from 4wheelparts.com have 4.75".

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, after much searching, I know which steelies I want, but can't find them anywhere, not even the Rover stealership. :mad:

I need the OEM black steels, PN: ANR5829 Steel Wheel. Apparently, these are 1995 P38 spare wheels...

Anyone know how/where I can get five of these?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Right now it's looking like I'm going to have to flag down every 1995 P38 I see and beg them to sell me their spare wheels... :buttrock:

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
bernardmann said:
A friend of mine bought those exact rims and had 265/75/16's mounted on them and has been losing air ever since. Additionally, people at a local indy shop told me those particular rims aren't NATO's and are not strong enough to take off-road abuse, especially from a heavy Rover.
Genuine WOLF rims are NOT for tubeless installation. Just because a tire says tubeless, it doesn't mean the rim is.

The simplest way to tell if the wheel is a WOLF (NATO, incorrectly, to some) is to simply look through one of the holes and check the section thickness, or weigh one. The material is twice as thick as a standard rim, hence twice the weight.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.