Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone: I bought a 99 disco1 Wed drive it from Nashville to bloomington IN and before I get it home the low oil pressure light goes on. So I take it to my mechanic and he drops the pan states that It's been dropped twice in the last three months tells me the screen has been taken out. And states that the low oil pressure light is due to a wore out engine and I need another. My light is out when I idle and comes on at 1700rpm. But one time today I was going down the road at 60 mph and the light went out. then came back on but mostly stays on any ideas I don't want to buy a engine? Could it be the oil sending unit?I am not mechanically inclined, so I am at the mercy of you gearheads help.

·
Forward!
2,324 Posts
Ummm, how did your mechanic know the oil pan was dropped twice in the last three months?! You state that you bought the truck in Nashville.....how does he know that? Is there something in the paperwork? There should be a screen on the oil pickup tube in the pan and those sometimes get clogged up, so maybe whoever had the pan off before just took the screen out? If so that should be replaced. How many miles on the truck? What service history does it have? How did the oil look when he dropped the pan? Is there any sound on start up like a rod knocking or smoke out the tailpipe on start up? I am just curious why he just decided why your motor needs to be replaced.

·
Banned
914 Posts
I'd get a second opinion....

Those oil pressure sensors do go bad. I think they cost about 20-30 bucks...Either way, I'd get a screen on that pump tube!

Just unplug the light...then you'll never know the difference :)

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Warlord said:
Hi everyone: I bought a 99 disco1 Wed drive it from Nashville to bloomington IN and before I get it home the low oil pressure light goes on. So I take it to my mechanic and he drops the pan states that It's been dropped twice in the last three months tells me the screen has been taken out. And states that the low oil pressure light is due to a wore out engine and I need another. My light is out when I idle and comes on at 1700rpm. But one time today I was going down the road at 60 mph and the light went out. then came back on but mostly stays on any ideas I don't want to buy a engine? Could it be the oil sending unit?I am not mechanically inclined, so I am at the mercy of you gearheads help.
Warlord,
How many miles on the truck? A couple of thoughts, you can do a mechanical oil pressure test to verify exactly what the oil pressure is, this will let you know if the oil pump is OK, change out the sender unit if is bad,
Flush the engine with a good can of of engine oil flush using a 20/50 oil and a good oil filter after wards.
Chances are the engine is fine, they just don't wear out that easily and if that were the case it would show up in the bottom of the sump.
Get back to us.
Mike J.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Warlord on my disco 1 low oil issues?

I guess its my mechanic opionion based on two types of silicon residue left over after the removals. I put in premium gas today and all went away for about an hour then the clicking and the low oil light came back on. I'm having a second op tommorrow. What should I ask him? 106,000 miles. It sounds great today for a hour. I asked my mechanic about the sending unit and he said it wasn't leaking. I asked if it was bad and that is what he told me. So can I get it flushed at a quicklube type place like grease monkey?
Thanks for the get back. I do love rovers.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Not sure why another engine was his first suggestion.

Good thing you are getting a second opinion. Make sure the sending unit is reading correctly. Simple task of replacing that screen, flushing the engine and running new (even 20w50 oil) in it (well simple vs. having a new engine put in). Although putting another engine in would solve the problem... then again that solves almost all problems except ones debt problem.

At idle oil pressure is pretty easy to maintain. Under load is where you see the pick up is not meeting the demand. Even clogged fuel filters will let the engine idle... most of the time.

Lets hope it is just a sensor problem. Best of luck!

·
The Winnipeg Thrashers...
835 Posts
106k and your mech says it's worn out. WTF! Mine has 175K+ and starts every cold morning and runs great. Granted it's not very strong but it aint dead either and I don't need a friggin engine to solve the lack of power issue. Find a new mechanic. That **** just pisses me off. :complain: Keep shopping, you'll find someone you trust that will be honest with you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bloomington with No low oil light thanks yall

Hey yall, I went and got a second op. They didn't want to put 20w50 like yall told me and I told them that's what I wanted and now its sounds and runs great. Crossing my fingers tho because I've been up and down with my rover. I will replace everything and fix everything once I know this is a real fix how long will it take to lose its thickness and start pecking again you think?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.