Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just purchased my very first land rover, a 1995 Disco. I got it for pretty cheap and I knew it had issues yet it runs and drives pretty well so the idea was for a project truck that I would eventually lift and off road.

Here's my problems. I think I got lucky with two of the most pain in the ass jobs to do.

1) My wipers aren't working.. period. No sporadic wipe or 1/3 of the way or parking issues, just nothing. no clicking noise even. I saw the "wiper Fix" posts and I pulled the stalk apart, cleaned it and lubed it abit, but still nothing. I'm getting that tingly feeling I might have to pull the dash out to do a wiper motor but I can't be sure, any opinions??

2) My blower motor also doesn't blow.. at all. I can hear something clicking over by the right side passenger footwell when I slide the switch over however nothing happens even on setting 4. setting 1 sounds like it does then doesnt make contact but I think thats just needing a cleaning, if it was that I would imagine the motor would atleast start then stop spinning.

I tried looking on these forums but I find mostly disco 2 info (are they the same?) and I can't find that much info, let alone a DIY for wiper or blower motor removals...
PS- AC fan button for the rear seems to blow just fine... idk what that means.

HELP.:help please lol. I wanna get this thing snow capable before its too late.

Thanks for any and all help you guys can give me, it feels weird being a noob again. :wave:

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well you can trace the path of the electricity of you have a circuit schematic. I know for a fact the fan speed switch on Disco I trucks is a poor design and fails often and is a bear to replace. You HAVE checked all your fuses I guess?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well you can trace the path of the electricity of you have a circuit schematic. I know for a fact the fan speed switch on Disco I trucks is a poor design and fails often and is a bear to replace. You HAVE checked all your fuses I guess?
Haha okay so don't hate, but my dad check over all the fuses so I ruled that out. I double checked and sure enough the fuse had popped, I guess since it was a 10A and the socket requires a 20A.

BUT! They don't do intermittent or park, so I'm assuming its the relay, since my last car had that exact issue and that was the fix.

ANY idea where the wiper relay is located??? Its not easy to find these things online, I even have the work shop manual and I cant find it under electrical.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wiper relay is located passenger RH side footwell.

Use this link >> CLICK Discovery I Electrical Troubleshooting(1995)
Then Component Location Table and SEARCH K185>> The PIC is on page 37.

Land Rover Manuals
Thanks for the link that helped me a ton.
I can feel the Relay clicking on the intermittent setting, which tells me its working. As I turn the ring to speed up the time between wipes, the clicking speeds up just as it should. Again, tells me this part is fine.

I don't however, get any clicking when in the standard wipe setting, and the wipers don't do anything.

Also I blew through another 20A fuse when turning it on full speed (full speed normally works fine.)

SO here's my thought, tell me if anyone concurs:
If the motor is old and needs too much current to run, then at the low speed setting (which both intermittent and the first wipe functions are) it doesn't have enough current and therefore doesn't move. Only on the high speed does it get enough current, but at that point its drawing close to 20Amps, and therefore will spike and blow out the fuse.... Whacha think?:dunno:

Again any help its merrily appreciated :wave::beer:

PS- I ordered a brand new switch, gonna swap it in to see if it'll fix it, but I doubt it, at which point I'll just return it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.