Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was stuck in park and used a paper clip to by-pass the brake switch until replacement arrived.

When I replaced the brake switch I was still unable to shift out of park. I check the fuse under the dash for the brake lights and it was bad. I replaced and everything worked fine for about a day or less.

Now I am blowing the brake light fuse, under the dash, almost every time I start the car.

Any suggestion would be helpful and if you feel it is a short is there a most likely location or am I destined to be searching forever?

Thank you.

Don :dunno:

·
Registered
238 Posts
When does it blow

Hi Don
Is the fuse blowing when you start the car or when you press the brake pedal? or is it the normal rover thing of there is no real point it just blows at some point.
Could it be that when you replaced the switch there might be a short to ground?
Adam

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuse

The brake light fuse blows when I start the car. I used a paper clip to by-pass the brake switch, would that cause the short in the ground and if so how do I fix that?

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Fuse

If you remove the paperclip does the fuse still blow?

If it continues to blow then the problem is else where, and as the problem is when you start the car I would asume that the short is in the cable from the fuse box to the pedal, that is if it is a positive switch.
or
The other option is that because you have jumpered the brake lights to the on position that one of the lamps is blowen and that is shorting to ground (rare but does hapen) then when you start the car this automaticly turns thet brake lights to the on position, shorting to ground and blowing the fuse.

The cable path most of the times is from the fuse box to the barke pedal back to the fuse box to switch a relay, from the relay to the brake lights. If you have access to a multi-meter or a 12v test pen then you will have to follow the cabeling.
Anyone else have any sugestions?
Adam

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.