Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that I am screwed.

I had a slight coolant leak on my Disco (2001, 114K miles) which seemed to be at the back of the engine, which I thought I can cure with "Blue Devil's Head Gasket Sealant". I followed the instructions on the bottle: empty enough coolant for BlueDevil contents to fit; start engine from cold; heating set to max; pour BlueDevil contents SLOOOOOWLY (took about a minute), close coolant cap, let idle to 50 minutes.

Well, after 30 minutes the temperature (by ScanGauge) had reached a never seen before (on this car) temp of 247 deg... and climbing. Electric fan was running at that stage. I eventually chickened out and switched the engine off. An hour later I opened the coolant reservoir and noticed that the liquid is now gel.
I tried to call the BlueDevil "hotline, but their office hours are Mon-Fri, not Saturday.

Does anybody have any good ideas of what I should do next, as I don't think I should be driving with gel cooling.

BTW - my cooling liquid was pretty well maintained with the orange stuff (GM DexCool).

Help is much appreciated.

·
1,800 Posts
Did you use the white lable or yellow lable?

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
Did you have any over problems before you added the Blue Devil? Did you have the hood down when the engine was idling, if not that can cause the problem cause you won't draw enough air thru the radiator to keep the engine cool.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i never looked at the Blue Devil stuff but doesn't sodium silicate crystalize into liquid glass on contact with coolant

I think it works by removing all coolant and just use it with water. Then it will crystalize when it leaks into the hotter combustion chamber and thereby form a seal of liquid glass. that supposedly plugs the head gasket defect. it sounds like it crystalized in your radiator and other coolant passages though.

i would guess you need a new radiator and you need to take the heads off and try to scrape all the gel out.

·
1,800 Posts
Did you follow the instructions for the YELLOW lable you are supposed to flush out old coolant and take out the thermostat. ONLY for the WHITE lable is pour and go leaving thermostat on.

·
1,800 Posts
I think the main reasons why a lot of these liquid seal don't work is because people don't follow instructions or their headgaskets, rads, cores and cooling systems are in real bad shape by the point they use it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The instructions on the bottle itself do not state anything about removing the thermostat.
The FAQ for the product on the web does state to remove the thermostat.
That kinda sucks for me.

They also say the following in the FAQ:
"I tried the product and my radiator has a white crystalline deposit or jell, what is this?
These are telltale signs of a radiator that is in need of service. When fluids are not changed often enough under severe operating conditions or in areas with hard water, scale deposits form in the passages of the core. Sometimes the old fluids will jell or crystallize and can be seen in the system. To remove these deposits flush cooling system using a flushing agent or a flushing machine."

So, I guess that I have to flush the cooling system completely. Great.
Where is the bets place to start?

·
1,800 Posts
Prestone makes a flushing product.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
What did you expect when you took such a dangerous shortcut with your truck?

If your head gaskets are leaking, VooDoo juice ain't gonna save you.

Now, the job is three times as big, and likely four times as expensive.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
i never looked at the Blue Devil stuff but doesn't sodium silicate crystalize into liquid glass on contact with coolant
It first forms a really cool gel-like goo. Eventually, it will soldify, but not until it drives the water out.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Ain't that a bitch! Mechanic in a can strikes again! You probably could have gotten away doing the head gaskets yourself for about $500 including the bill from the machine shop. Every time I have seen someone use stuff like that it ends badly. Unfortunately at this point you still need the head gaskets done, and probably most of the cooling system replaced. I have yet to see any product that will get that stuff out of the system without doing even more damage.

·
1,800 Posts
Flush each part separete. disconect the hoses to the rad, to the heater core and hose with soft pressure each area. put hose to the hoses that go to the heater core and flush it both ways this should help, then also into the block.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, I flushed it out this morning, gallons and gallons, this way and that way. The header tank was definitely the worst. Cleaned the header tank and thermostat really well. I think that a lot of gel was on the thermostat, not opening it to open up much, thus the overheating.
I ran the car a few miles, now - everything seems good. Just got the "swooshing" sound in the interior, so the heating has likely got air pockets.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts