Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
1,818 Posts
I've researched the web to find that various car companies use liquid seal products as a preventive mesure for coolant leaks, GM is a big example they use Barr leaks.

·
Beach Bum
2,093 Posts
My external leak is slowing dramatically after I drained, bled and added 1/4 bottle of pour and go. Looks like the "**** that doesn't work" is going to buy me some time. Here is a good read, funny how Bar's has been in business since 1947 making something that doesn't work.

Bar's Leaks History

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Looks like the "**** that doesn't work" is going to buy me some time.
Buy time, correct, fix the issue, NO. Nobody said it wasn't going to work. You could throw a hand full of saw dust in there and eventually it will stop the leaking too.

My previous experience with stop leak stuff was as a temp measure to get you down the road far enough to get it fixed. As a crazy teen, I burnt up a couple motors due to heat. The second time was a stop leak product gone bad. Clogged up the thermostat and overheated the engine. Since then, no way..

The anxiety of knowing that some day the temp gauge is going to spike without notice, a hot water mixture of some sort will be try to escape out the overflow and your block will get twice as hot as it should... and BAM your worse off than before.

I am glad it is no longer leaking, I would't use it.

·
1,818 Posts
Sounds good! Which brand did you use Brian?

·
Beach Bum
2,093 Posts
The issue with me is that it was just small enough of a leak to piss me off. On top of that a gasket that's only 16K old. Dave, I used the pour n go. I'm not sure if I'm out of the woods yet. I'm not seeing anything on the garage floor anymore and I can't identify the leak on the engine block. It may I have stopped completely but it's too early to tell.

·
Beach Bum
2,093 Posts
Buy time, correct, fix the issue, NO. Nobody said it wasn't going to work. You could throw a hand full of saw dust in there and eventually it will stop the leaking too.

My previous experience with stop leak stuff was as a temp measure to get you down the road far enough to get it fixed. As a crazy teen, I burnt up a couple motors due to heat. The second time was a stop leak product gone bad. Clogged up the thermostat and overheated the engine. Since then, no way..

The anxiety of knowing that some day the temp gauge is going to spike without notice, a hot water mixture of some sort will be try to escape out the overflow and your block will get twice as hot as it should... and BAM your worse off than before.

I am glad it is no longer leaking, I would't use it.

Word games. Let's put it in perspective here. These head gaskets might last 40-80-100K new from the factory. My new set lasted only 16K. There are cars on the road with 200-300K on the originals. So IMO if it sealer will fix the problem for any duration it is a permanent fix giving the very early failure rate of these head gaskets.

·
1,818 Posts
Pour and go, but what brand? BlueDevil? Bar's Leak?
I think once it seals it will last. I think it' a good alternative if the seals work for small leaks like ours.

·
1,818 Posts
Thanks Brian. I think the other issue using the product is the way our cooling system is set up, pouring it in the expansion tank does not get it to flow fast as it needs to to the block. There has to be away of pouring it so it goes to the block before it passes throught the radiator or heater core.

·
1,818 Posts
I just spoke to the guys at BD again and I told him my leak was like less than a cup every 2 weeks they said to use just 16oz, but it can be reaplied if needed. Maybe 1/4 from 16oz is to little.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I've researched the web to find that various car companies use liquid seal products as a preventive mesure for coolant leaks, GM is a big example they use Barr leaks.
For a while GM was putting leak stop tabs in some vehicles as a half assed solution to a big [email protected] up. When they actually fixed the problem they stopped using the tablets.

If I had a beater that I wanted to keep alive for as long as possible or an engine I knew I was going to replace I would have no problems using these "liquid glass" products. If I knew I was going to fix the problem and was keeping the engine I would use a milder product like prestone's leak stopper that you can actually flush out when you want to. The stop leak tablets are fine too.

·
Beach Bum
2,093 Posts
For a while GM was putting leak stop tabs in some vehicles as a half assed solution to a big [email protected] up. When they actually fixed the problem they stopped using the tablets.

If I had a beater that I wanted to keep alive for as long as possible or an engine I knew I was going to replace I would have no problems using these "liquid glass" products. If I knew I was going to fix the problem and was keeping the engine I would use a milder product like prestone's leak stopper that you can actually flush out when you want to. The stop leak tablets are fine too.
I read elsewehre the tabs were bad news bear.

Add: maybe I saw some tabs have particles and that's what you want to aviod.

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
flushing doesn't work. Tried it after a guy put the stuff in and it crystralized the hoses and the radiator and still overheated.

·
1,818 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So, after two days of driving to work (luckily only 4 miles each way) the Disco is consistent. It now overheats every time. I guess that on the weekend I'll flush more and more.

btw - I talked to a guy at Universal Products. They claim that it does say on the bottle to remove the thermostat. Well, it doesn't say so on the BlueDevil bottle (product #38386) which I bought.

·
1,818 Posts
U said you used the Yellow lable right. These are the instructions I found on their site for the yellow lable click on directions.
Take pic of lable behind the bottle and put it up here let's see what the directions on it say.
https://www.gouniversalproducts.com/product-101-Blue-Devil-Head-Gasket-Sealant.html

find some stronger flushing stuff and reflush or maybe there is still air in the system. Before you drive it in the morning look at the expansion tank while it's cold and see if the coolant is on the line on the expansion tank not above it or below it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
SafariDave, The pictures of the label on the bottle are rather large (1.6MB), so too large to post. PM me with your email address and I'll send the pictures like that.

btw - flushed the system some more this weekend, found a lot of "stuff" on the thermostat. Disco is still overheating...

·
Beach Bum
2,093 Posts
SafariDave, The pictures of the label on the bottle are rather large (1.6MB), so too large to post. PM me with your email address and I'll send the pictures like that.

btw - flushed the system some more this weekend, found a lot of "stuff" on the thermostat. Disco is still overheating...
When was the last time you changed your coolant before now? Post a picture of this 'stuff'.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts