·
1,800 Posts
Replace your thermostat.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
okay, got software to resize the jpg's.

The pictures show the BlueDevil bottle label - front & back.

The picture with the thermostat shows the "stuff" that was deposited in it. The thermostat itself is new - about 3 weeks old. I tested it with hot water - it works fine.

My cooling liquid was changed during the last 2 years.

Attachments

·
1,800 Posts
You are right! i'ts not on the lable. Call them and complain and have then look at your topic on our forum. Also have them refund the money for the Thermostat and the bottle plus for the flushing. It sucks that it happened this way maybe there is stuff stuck in the pre heater throtle body also. The thermostat looks like ****. Get a new one anyway. Disconect all the cooling hoses & flush them out. Also disconect hoses to heater core and loop it back to pipe to engine & check if this this helps with the over heating. Ask them why the yellow lable does not say to take off thermostat like on the website.

·
Beach Bum
2,093 Posts
Yea, that's not good. I bet the white label is safe for the thermostat but not the yellow label. The new bars head gasket fix instructs to pour in directly into the top radiator hose thus bypassing the thermostat. Looking at it now it's easy to tell if that stuff made it's way to the leak it would seal it up. Very interesting picture.

Add: I would have only started with 1/4 bottle and wait and see. That's just me. Also, guys over at rangerover.net seemed to have luck with the new (as of November 2009) Bars Head gasket fix. Much different than the bars head gasket repair.

What happened is the stuff got in your thermostat and reached the crystallization stage of 220 degrees, it should be doing that in your bock or radiator. Where ever you have the leak. The whole bottle is for someone trying to seal a massive smoke out the exhaust internal HG leak, again, I would use much less for our small external leaks. Good info though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Blue Devil

First of all, I have a '99 Discovery. My vehicle is starting to blow out a lot of white smoke.

I was a little skeptical on trying one of these "Head Gasket Stop Leak" products because it seemed too good to be true. I ended up going over to Advance Auto to ask about which product would be the best for my situation. He recommended that I use the Blue Devil.

I applied it about a week ago and my vehicle is 100 times better. I am amazed as to how much this has improved everything. I would recommend this product to everyone!!

·
1,800 Posts
Which one did you use and how did u use it?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
So, after having the car reverse flushed by a good workshop (they didn't get much more out) the heating/cooling is pretty okay now. I also increased the size of the thermostat holes, which made a big difference. The engine now operates in city traffic between 198 and 215 F. Highway it remains constant at 200F.

One thing to say about the company that makes the BlueDevil stuff: They were very helpful in trying to resolve my issue. They called back, offered advice, refunded the money I spent on the BlueDevil and also paid for the reverse flush work. They certainly have decent integrity standards !

·
Registered
518 Posts
I used half of the 32 oz. bottle called Blue Devil "Mechanic Approved".
You all are in good company. My 03 has had a slow leak for the last two years off and on. Was a TB gasket and then the TB heater hose at the intake and now it's bad enough to see, front cover and intake 90% and maybe 10% heads.. All external, no water oil mixing and no burning and NO overheating but is dripping pretty good now from the front and running across the oil pan front to back....Coolant has always been changed with all other fluids by the book or earlier as I have with my 98... My 98 has 180k no problems anywhere ever and the 03 just clicked over 100k.... I will be tackling the heads this weekend as well as replacing the front cover gasket and inspecting the oil pump dowel since mine falls within the vin range for the faulty pin causing oil pump failure.....Nice huh..... I saw someone write about other's head gaskets lasting for hundreds of thousands of miles and that is correct, but there are tons that do not such as the famous GM 2.8 Ford 3.8 and Toyota 3.0L.... I think the GM 2.8 is what made instant stop leak products famous LOL..... Yes it sucks that our engines are 30+ years old and they still can't figure out how to make them leak free but the benefits of Rover ownership outweigh the problems...I do not know what else I would drive that does all the things our Rover's do...

I would be leary of any miracle products going inside your engine... Some may work, but I would rather fix the problem than put a bandaid on it...

·
McDisco Ben
20 Posts
Another victim to the Blue Devil catastrophy!!!

wish, I would have found this post before I put in the Blue Devil Pour & Go.
I experienced the exact same issue as IMAG...

Had no choice but to let the the stealership handle it, as there are no other indy land rover mechanics in central iowa.

I did have the head gasket job done and the timing belt replaced whilst there were in there. also discovered a broken rocker arm, which was a plus.

never the less all told it's been at the dealer for two weeks and they are still getting clogs in the radiator, heater core, thermostat... Called yesterday and they are finally getting some head way...

NEVER, EVER, EVER USE THIS BLUE DEVIL SHITE!!!

·
1,800 Posts
BlueDevil does not work! K-seal does!

·
Registered
8 Posts
we all make mistakes at one point or another, dont worry

So I guess that tomorrow I will start flushing and flushing.....
Man I would give a hand butt your all the way out there in PA, I like working on cars, bikes almost everything, but dont worry man your Rover probably will run like new again.
cheers!:beer:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have used this product after thoroughly, thoroughly reading directions again and again, on the bottle, their website, and other web postings. If you follow the necessary steps, you can have a fast cheap fix. Is it as good actually replacing the gaskets? No way! But if you are in a pinch on time, money, or have a vehicle that is on its last legs anyway, this could be your ticket.

I am very sorry to hear about the cases of people having the clogging and other issues. It always sucks to try to fix something and end up making it worse.

I think a good lesson from these situations is how valuable thorough research and planning is before taking on any project or task. Even something seeming simple as an oil change can be mucked up if information is confused or incomplete. It can never hurt to be overinformed, and it seems that especially with the Land Rover's there is always more to learn

Good luck to all,

Nick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey there so ive been lurking for a while and i just bought a 1998 disco with 125k last monday with blown head gaskets. i did all the work myself and had the heads rebuilt and machined. cleaned the block the best i could and inspected for cracks about 20 times. i torqued them following the pattern and the torque stages to the best of my ability and after all is said and done... i started it today and its plooming white smoke out the exhaust and the new oil is creamy again... so besides feeling like i wasted a week and a half of my time and a good chunk of change on this thing i think i am going to try the blue devils. the only problem i can think of is that one of the cylinders has a crack and i didnt see it while i was in there (i know i should have magnafluzed the thing). feeling super discouraged being 19 and next to broke, but i love the land rover even though ive only sat in the driver seat wishing i was driving..

So what is the difference between the white do-it-yourself, and the yellow blue devils? i definitely want the one for more serious leaks if it is indeed a cracked block. hopefully this isnt just a lost cause :bawling:

·
1,800 Posts
Blue Devil does not work!!! but K-seal worked on my Disco II which I no longer have.
Dave

·
Registered
106 Posts
Remember...it's a Land Rover. If there aren't fluids under it, there aren't fluid in it!

Since I'm doing the top end come spring anyway, I may experiment with one of these. I'm at a loss as to the 'whoosh' of air in the systems...I replace coolant in the Disco the same way my Ferrari mech did back in the day...I unscrew the cap on the top hose and fill it from there. It is absolutely the highest spot on the cooling system I have a thermostat by-pass I can use for the requisite 50-60 minute idle, and I always keep a pair of extra thermostats around...

·
Registered
2 Posts
i used blue devil and it worked for me i read the directions really good, flushed the system and it has worked for me so far its been about a month and i have no leaks. i also had to replace the throttle body warmer. my disco was dumping coolant to it was bad.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts